Chief Operating Officer-Pittsburgh, PA.
Organization: Pittsburgh Botanic Garden
Position Title: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Pittsburgh, PA.
Hours and Compensation: Full time.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
The Pittsburgh Botanic Garden is currently being developed on 460 acres along the airport corridor near Settler’s Ridge, and will open Phase I this summer. The Garden will be a unique cultural amenity with artistic and inspirational displays of hardy plants; horticultural and environmental education programs; and research into regional botanical and conservation issues. The Garden is committed to taking a leadership role in the stewardship of the natural world and building healthy ecosystems.
As part of the Garden’s senior management team, the COO is responsible for providing direction and day-to-day management of several key operational functions including finance, human resources, marketing and programming. Together with the President, the COO leads the organization in meeting its yearly and long term goals. This position reports directly to the Garden’s President, but works closely with Garden staff and the Board. This is a full time regular, exempt position.
Administration – Building the Organization and its Programs
- Oversees overall administrative operations of the organization including financial oversight, human resources management, programming and marketing activities
- Participates as staff liaison to Board’s Audit and Finance, Personnel, Marketing and Education committees, and ensures committee efforts are coordinated with one another and with staff
- Supervises the Controller and Human Resources functions
- Works with the Controller to set and oversee staff work schedules and assists team in achieving annual goals
- Works with the Controller to develop financial reports for grants
- Oversees grant records and retention system
- Acts as liaison with government agencies relative to grant funding
- Accountable for overall Garden financial oversight, and budget compliance
- Responsible for organization in absence of President
Execution and Coordination – Ensuring Delivery of Strategic and Annual Goals
- Leads regular, cross-functional staff meetings to review progress against goals and ensure communication across all positions and departments. Sets goals for his/her direct reports by cascading annual goals provided by President to staff reports, and implements evaluations and tracking to ensure attainment
- Collaborates with President in setting goals for the Site and Revenue functions
- Builds, maintains and reports scorecards on departmental goal attainment (all departments)
Building Awareness and Engaging the Community
- Implements strategic plans, policies and programs to meet the organization’s short- and long-term membership, awareness and volunteer objectives
- Supervises the Garden’s Marketing staff and Events and Marketing Assistant and future program staff
- Accountable for member and facility rental income, member growth/income and volunteer engagement
- Oversees all Marketing and Garden Programming operations of the organization
- Reviews and approves all public communications
- Works with Database Manager to build membership and volunteer engagement
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in non-profit management, business, natural science, museum studies, marketing, communications or related field
- 5 years of progressive experience in managing professionals
- Proven ability to coordinate the efforts of cross functional teams
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Marketing and public relations skills, proven track record in building awareness and engagement, revenue generation, and/or special events management
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to motivate others
- Proven success in managing a variety of assignments simultaneously, on schedule and with strict attention to detail
- Proactive – self starter
Works primarily in the Garden’s office but occasionally outdoors as well
Occasional evening and/or weekend work
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should email their resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Greg Nace email@example.com or mail to Pittsburgh Botanic Garden, 850 Poplar Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15220