Development Associate – Planned Giving -Cambridge, MA
Organization: Union of Concerned Scientists
Position Title: Development Associate
Location: Cambridge, MA
Hours and Compensation: Salary would be in the high $30s
Application Deadline: April 20, 2014 or until filled
UCS seeks a detail-oriented Planned Giving/Development Associate to manage the daily operations of our planned giving program and provide administrative support to the Director of Planned Giving. The ideal candidate has previous work experience in non-profit fundraising, or other relevant nonprofit experience, enjoys working with donors, and is interested in a position with the opportunity to learn and grow as a fundraising professional.
In the short term, there will be additional duties supporting the membership team responding to member inquires over phone and email. This will include producing appropriate correspondence in a timely manner and updating donor records in the databases.
- In concert with the Director of Planned Giving, serve as a point of contact for donors and prospects on all matters related to planned gifts. Responding to donors in a timely, professional and friendly manner.
- Working closely with the Director of Planned Giving, implement UCS’s planned giving strategy.
- Assist the Director of Planned Giving with creating materials for and conducting planned giving training for development staff.
- Supporting the Director of Planned Gifts with coordination of travel arrangements for donor meetings, trips and events, and providing other travel support materials.
- Responsible for coordinating the development, production and mailing of PG prospecting, cultivation, and stewardship pieces working with membership, stewardship and communications team, designers and external vendors.
- Work with PGCalc and other external consultants/contractors to ensure accurate processing and record keeping of planned gifts and related tax documentation.
·In the short term, additional responsibilities supporting the membership team may include:
- Monitoring public email boxes and membership phone line. Responding in a professional, friendly, timely and accurate manner to email and phone inquiries from members.
- Write, produce and mail assorted individual correspondence to members.
Qualifications and experience
- Two to four years of development experience or equivalent;
- The ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks, with scrupulous attention to detail;
- Comfort and familiarity in working with donors, prospective donors and other constituents; with a friendly and professional “donor” services orientation;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of team, in a fast-paced, collegial environment;
- Strong interest in the mission of UCS, and/or a background in science or public policy;
- Creativity and a strong work ethic to support our growing planned giving program;
- Facility with MS Office suite, and experience with Raiser’s Edge or other database software.
The strongest candidates may also demonstrate:
- Prior experience in fundraising, especially in a planned giving or major gift setting;
- Knowledge of basic planned giving concepts and vehicles such as bequests and gift annuities;
- B.A. or B.S. (preferred); background in finance or law
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
Compensation, Hours and Location: This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge office. For candidates who meet all position requirements, the salary would be in the high $30s. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment, and is an equal opportunity employer continually seeking to diversify its staff andto broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. Information about the organization is available athttp://www.ucsusa.org
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, salary requirements, how you learned about the position and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Planned Giving Associate” in the subject line. Email materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls please. Deadline: April 20, 2014 or until filled.