Environmental Public Health Internship-West Region, Cameroon
Organization: SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT INTERNATIONAL
Position Title: Environmental Public Health Internship
Location: West Region, Cameroon
Hours and Compensation: 25 hours/week. Unpaid.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Volunteer/intern will focus on infectious diseases, food safety, water safety, work place health and safety, and community infrastructure and pollution control.
Attached/seconded to a local government,-environmental public health department for 3/4 days and 2/1 day to the field weekly on Environmental Health education talks and practical illustration of environmental health safety practices.
- 25 hours weekly
Primary Roles and responsibilities:
-Ensure an acceptable standard of health care is being maintained throughout the community
– undertake appropriate action concerning environmental protection to provide a safe environment for the community of Buea
– investigate cases of infectious disease and ensure appropriate action is taken
– liaise and consult with statutory authorities and other governing bodies on matters concerning the health and well being of the community
– prepare and provide educational lectures and workshops to schools, communities and other relevant areas of the public
– conduct research into Environmental health issues affecting the area of Buea and implement strategies, policies, and reports where appropriate.
– support the development of sustainable objectives at a capacity for addressing day to day public health needs.
– facilitate, develop and evaluate immunization strategies and other prevention strategies such as vaccines, vector control and safe water to achieve disease reduction goals
– work with partners and supportive organisations to enhance health security and to prevent the spread and transmission of infectious disease within Buea
– conduct research to aid in the identification, development and delivery of new interventions to support and improve public health across Buea
– identify and address the best practices to strengthen the public health system in Buea.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Qualification in environmental health, public health or allied health or related field
- Sound knowledge of environmental pollution, sanitation, hygiene, communicable diseases
- Ability to conduct ongoing research and develop education material on environmental safety with industries or disease outbreak management and livelihood development for disaster victims.
- Ability to coordinate and teach large groups
- Experience in public speaking and/or facilitating large groups
- Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate diverse teams
Additional Beneficial Skills and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate Degree in relevant field
- Have lived and worked in a developing country, preferably in Africa
- Knowledge of Cameroonian Pidgin-English and/or French is an added advantage
At this time, Social Development International does not have sufficient means to support the position of volunteer/intern. The position is open for any qualified individual who is willing to self-fund and fundraise to cover his or her costs for a minimum 02 month stay in Buea, Southwest Regions, Cameroon. In exchange, Social Development International will provide the individual invaluable experience in on-the-ground international development work. Social Development International is also willing to work with an individual to help submit a grant application for fundraising for this position.
How to apply:
If interested, or for more information, please send your resume and a cover letter to sodeit (at)sodeit.org