Program Assistant (Ocean Conservation)-Boston, MA.
Position Title: Program Assistant (Ocean Conservation)
Location: Boston, MA.
Hours and Compensation: CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
Application Deadline: No later than June 10, 2014
CLF has an opening in its Boston office for a program assistant starting in August 2014. The work encompasses a wide range of administrative, policy research, and public outreach work for the Ocean Conservation program, as well as work with other programs. Reporting to the Director of Operations, and to the Massachusetts Advocacy Center Director, the program assistant will not only perform regular administrative duties but will also actively participate in program advocacy. This is an exciting time for ocean conservation and management in the region and across the country; the program assistant will have a front seat role to play working to restore and protect the health of New England’s ocean environment and a number of other programmatic priorities for CLF. This fun, varied and challenging position will require regular contact and collaboration with advocacy staff from each CLF program area and state office. CLF is seeking a bright self-starter who thrives in a dynamic environment and welcomes the exciting challenges of working for a regional environmental advocacy organization dedicated to the mission of protecting New England’s environment. People of color are encouraged to apply.
- Provide administrative support to the Ocean Conservation program director, Director of Campaigns, Senior Counsel, Ocean Planning Outreach Manager and other program advocacy staff.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings and events; assist with travel arrangements.
- Manage TalkingFish.org blog: create editorial schedule; create original content and edit content by Ocean program staff and external allies; conduct social media outreach.
- Create and edit content for NewEnglandOceanOdyssey.org in collaboration with Ocean Communications Associate.
- Provide substantive, technical, research and editorial support to program staff for letters, public comments, outreach materials, reports and other publications.
- Work with program and communications staff to write and disseminate fact sheets, action alerts, op-eds, letters to the editor, white papers and similar pieces that advance the Ocean Conservation program objectives and message.
- Serve as a primary back-up to other program assistant staff
- Provide front desk administrative support as needed (breaks and absences)
- Maintain content of Ocean program pages on the CLF website; maintain content on other Ocean program-related websites; develop routine posts for the CLF blog.
- Create and maintain legal case files, advocacy, resource and other program files in a way that is consistent with CLF’s document management policy.
- Develop and maintain databases or membership lists, electronic outreach lists, and other web-based or electronic outreach tools.
- Conduct stakeholder and public outreach on a variety of Ocean program projects and campaigns.
- In accordance with CLF’s intern policy, and in collaboration with CLF’s Staff Assistant, administer application process and day-to-day guidance of Ocean program interns.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent plus a minimum of 1-3 years’ relevant office experience is required, experience supporting senior staff preferred.
- Experience with, and knowledge of, environmental issues (particularly marine conservation science and policy) and a passion for the environmental mission of CLF.
- The ability to work independently and to simultaneously manage several projects at various stages of completion.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively and work well with a wide range of people in a collaborative fashion, including staff, interns, volunteers, policy-makers, stakeholders and the general public.
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong administrative abilities, with demonstrated capacity to perform a wide range of office functions efficiently.
- Excellent research, analytical, verbal, and writing skills.
- Experience and a high degree of proficiency working with the Microsoft Office 2007 suite.
- Experience and a high degree of proficiency working with WordPress content management system, Facebook and Twitter.
- Skilled working with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Strong work ethic coupled with the ability to be flexible and supportive in a dynamic, sometimes demanding work setting.
- Good sense of humor.
Salary and Benefits
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected.
Send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a detailed cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to email@example.com. Please make “Program Assistant, Oceans” the subject of your e-mail. Application materials must be received no later than June 10, 2014. No phone calls please.
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected