Executive Director-Richmond, VA
Organization: Virginia League of Conservation Voters
Position Title: Executive Director
Location: Richmond, VA
Hours and Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with experience + benefits
Application Deadline: May 1, 2014
The Virginia League of Conservation Voters (the League) is seeking a full-time Executive Director to lead the organization’s programs and staff, and to further its conservation priorities.
The League is a statewide, nonpartisan, nonprofit 501 (c)(4) organization whose mission is to preserve Virginia’s natural landscape for future generation. The League serves as the political voice of the state’s conservation community, working to make sure Virginia’s elected officials recognize that our natural heritage is an environmental and economic treasure for all. Its partner organization, the Virginia League of Conservation Voters Education Fund, is a 501 (c)(3) dedicated to educating the public and politicians on environmental issues. The successful candidate will serve as Executive Director of both organizations.
- Responsible for the successful implementation of a robust portfolio of programmatic work, including legislative advocacy and accountability, policy development and implementation, conservation education and outreach, candidate endorsements, and electoral campaigns;
- Working directly with the Boards of Directors to implement the organizations’ vision and strategic plan;
- Recruiting, hiring, training, managing, and evaluating all staff while maintaining a creative, positive, and successful environment;
- Playing a leading role in successful fundraising efforts that support and expand the organizations’ program work, meets annual budgets, and grows the organization;
- In coordination with the Boards of Directors, draft, monitor and oversee the Annual Budgets;
- Maintaining and building an ever-higher organizational profile within the conservation, funder, legislative, and electoral communities;
- Effectively communicating the organizations’ successes to supporters, partners, and the public;
- Ensuring legal compliance of all aspects of the financial, personnel, political, and programmatic activities of the organizations.
- A leader who can drive implementation of the organizations’ agendas and represent the organizations effectively in multiple forums (with legislators, funders, the public, and partner organizations);
- Notable experience with natural resource issues and the Virginia political and legislative process;
- A commitment to the vision and mission of the organizations;
- Exceptional leadership, managerial, interpersonal, and verbal/written skills;
- Proven program development and implementation experience;
- Experience working with Boards of Directors;
- Ability to manage time, meet deadlines, and shift readily between diverse time-sensitive assignments;
- Ability to work long hours when required and to travel as needed;
- A familiarity with Virginia, as well as its ever changing political and conservation landscape;
- Demonstrated fundraising success, both with major donors, and with foundations;
- Strong financial management skills and the ability to build and manage multiple budgets within the required IRS 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and PAC structures and the legal limits on them.
How to apply
Send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references toJobs@valcv.org. No calls please.