Director of Communications-New York, NY.
Organization: West Harlem Environmental Action,Inc., New York City
Position Title: Director of Communications
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: 55,000 – 65,000/annual
Application Deadline: May 23, 2014
WE ACT for Environmental Justice (aka West Harlem Environmental Action, Inc.) is a Northern Manhattan community-based organization whose mission is to build healthy communities by ensuring that people of color and/or low-income participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices. Our research partnerships, issue campaigns, community organizing and mobilization initiatives address eight healthy community indicators: clean air, equitable transit, waste, pests and pesticide reduction, toxic-free products, healthy food in schools, sustainable land use, open and green space, and healthy indoor environments. In 2012, WE ACT established a Washington, D.C. office to more effectively engage private and public interest and elected officials in adopting fair and equitable federal, state, and local environmental justice policies. WE ACT is a leader in the nationwide movement for environmental justice, influencing the creation of federal, state and local policies and practices. Our groundbreaking grassroots efforts toward policy-change and advocacy work ultimately improve the well-being of all New Yorkers and provide a blueprint for communities facing similar challenges across the nation.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Working with the Executive Director and Deputy Director, assume key role in developing the WE ACT brand, raising visibility and promoting positive perceptions of the organization.
- Set priorities and develop annual strategic plan for effective issue and public relations campaigns in alignment with New York and Washington D.C. offices.
- Lead all administrative communications efforts including speaking events, issue campaigns, press and public relations efforts, radio/television broadcast platforms, and other public relations opportunities (i.e., stories, interviews, events, press briefings, press conferences, etc.).
- Research and prepare all written materials such as press releases, fact sheets, brochures, public outreach and awareness, editorials/letters to the editor, talking points, etc.)
- Developing and implementing social media strategies, including issue blogs, interactive discourse and other online initiatives to expand public dialogue on EJ issues.
- Cultivate long-term media and stakeholder relationships to effectively advance issue campaigns, public support and deepen constituent/partner involvement and engagement.
- Develop and institute policies and practices to build an effective communications department infrastructure.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years of strategic communications and public relations experience with demonstrated success in managing multiple aspects of media relations and branding.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and group communication skills.
- Knowledge of environmental health and justice issues.
- Knowledge and experience with website design and maintenance, desktop publishing, presentation and project management software.
- Exceptional administrative, organizational and time management skills; ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Strong computer proficiency
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume and cover letter to Evelyn Joseph, Director of Administration and Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.Please let us know where you saw this listing.Telephone calls will not be accepted.
- Include cover letter, resume, three references, and day time contact information
- Bilingual candidates, people of color, and Northern Manhattan residents are strongly encouraged to apply.
- We are looking for candidates that have recent or current Communications experience.