Executive Director-Francisco, CA
Position Title: Executive Director
Location: Francisco, CA.
Hours and Compensation: 60,000 – 75,000/annual
Application Deadline: May 15, 2014
Bayview Hunters Point Health and Environmental Resource Center (“HERC”) is seeking a talented Executive Director (“ED”).
Founded in 2001, HERC aims to reduce disparities between the health of this at-risk community and the rest of San Francisco’s population through health assessments, education, counseling, and appropriate referrals to qualified medical providers.
The ED is the Chief Executive Officer of HERC. The ED reports to the Board of Directors, and has overall strategic and operational responsibility for HERC’s staff, programs, expansion, fundraising, and the consistent achievement of HERC’s mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of all aspects of HERC and the surrounding community.
Leadership & Management
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy to achieve its mission, and that it makes consistent and timely progress towards strategic goals. Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Ensure ongoing excellence in all aspects of HERC, including finance, administration, fundraising, communications, systems, and rigorous program evaluation.
- Actively engage and energize HERC staff, volunteers, board members, community members, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors. Seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for operations.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
Budget, Finance, & Fundraising
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff, Finance Committee, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the president and secretary of the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Expand fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion. Identify potential revenue streams to support community services.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to HERC’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree several years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth. Master’s degree or other post baccalaureate education strongly preferred.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, community-oriented, adaptable, and innovative approach to planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
We offer comprehensive benefits and flexible work accommodations.
For more information, please visit our website: Bayview HERC