Membership Director-Charleston, SC
Organization: Coastal Conservation League
Position Title: Membership Director
Location: Charleston, SC
Hours and Compensation: Full time. Full benefits provided
Application Deadline: Not listed.
The Membership Director will report directly to the Senior Development Officer and will work closely with the development team and multiple departments on various projects related to membership acquisition, upgrading, and retention. The 2014 membership goals include significantly increasing membership, increasing member retention rates, and creating and implementing a development e-communications and social media strategy.
Key responsibilities include:
- New Member Development – Research, strategize, plan, and implement new member campaigns including both smaller, targeted mailings and large, direct mailing campaigns; review, analyze, and report on acquisition efforts.
- Member Retention – Coordinate monthly membership renewal process focusing on retention and renewal upgrades; strategize, plan and implement lapsed and dropped membership campaigns; review, analyze, and report on retention and renewal efforts.
- Social Media/Communications – Develop and integrate social media strategy and e-communications into membership and development efforts; collaborate with other departments in the development of an organizational social media strategy; develop membership literature, brochures, one-pagers, etc. to support membership, development, and outreach efforts.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed with regard to events, major gifts, Board of Directors, quarterly newsletter, database management, etc.
The ideal candidate will be a creative thinker who thrives in a team-driven environment, can plan and execute diverse projects in tandem and under multiple deadlines, manage internal and external relationships effectively, and possesses excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. This position requires excellent analytical skills, precision and attention to detail, and the ability to make decisions and judgment calls in a variety of situations.
The Membership Director must be a collegial team player who is also able to work independently, is assertive, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is eager to contribute to the collaborative dynamic of the department. She/he must be flexible, adaptable, and willing to perform diverse duties beyond those stated explicitly in the job description. Candidate must be able to multi-task and work well under pressure.
The candidate must have experience in development, specifically membership acquisition and retention, writing for a non-profit development operation, and a strong commitment to environmental advocacy.
Additionally, you must have experience generating strategic membership plans, and managing their implementation, from start to finish. Candidate must be comfortable managing team budgets and working with quantitative data to demonstrate the value of department projects/campaigns to senior staff and the Board of Directors.
- Five years of relevant development experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Significant experience with and working knowledge of Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge software, including reporting and queries.
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willingness and ability to attend events beyond work hours, as necessary.
- Interest in conservation and policy issues.
How to apply:
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone calls will not be accepted. Salary is commensurate with proven skills and experience. This position is in our Charleston, SC office. Full benefits provided. EOE.