Online Communications Specialist-Watertown, MA
Organization: Pathfinder International
Position Title: Online Communications Specialist
Location: Watertown, MA
Hours and Compensation: Full time.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the center of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, decreases in population pressures, and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder provides women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment. Pathfinder strives to strengthen access to family planning, ensure availability of safe abortion services and post-abortion care, advocate for sound reproductive health policies, and, through all of our work, improve the rights and lives of the people we serve.
The External Relations group is responsible for all individual fundraising (from channels including major gift cultivation, direct mail and online), internal and external communications, stewardship of the organization’s brand and positioning and management of Pathfinder’s online properties and channels. The External Relations group partners with all departments within Pathfinder and successfully communicates Pathfinder’s core values and mission.
The Online Communications Specialist is responsible for Pathfinder’s online communications with the goal of increasing Pathfinder’s external visibility. S/he manages online presence including Pathfinder website, microsites, email marketing, social media, digital media (ie, videos) and other online activities.
In collaboration with Director of Communications, the Online Communications Specialist provides oversight and guidance for all potential content contributors such as Programs, Advocacy, Resource Development, and Human Resources, to facilitate coordinated and comprehensive messaging for all communications. S/he manages, elicits, and supports contributions of online content by field offices, as well as provides support and guidance to the field for web and new media endeavors. The Online Communications Specialist ensures that all communications products adhere to Pathfinder International’s messaging, tone and style as well as accurately represent the work and results of the organization around the world.
Manage and maintain Pathfinder’s website
- Serve as the point person for all online content, including stories, videos, news, advocacy alerts or other content that help position Pathfinder to meet its online goals.
- Collect, write, edit, and facilitate creation of content for website, microsites, social media sites and more.
- Manage relationships with all online vendors, including Convio, Pathfinder’s content management system.
- Assume overall responsibility for review and timely updating of website design and information; maintain user-friendly and accessible formats.
- Monitor trends, results, and analytics to ensure website is meeting Pathfinder’s communications goals.
Manage Pathfinder’s social media and online presence
- Manage all Pathfinder social and emerging media activities include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Google+ and more. Develop and maintain content for all of these in line with larger Pathfinder communications strategy.
- As needed, train staff on new media and social media policy.
- Proactively design and manage web initiatives such as webinars, blogs, social networking, ensuring Pathfinder presence on a range of social media sites.
- Monitor online conversations and breaking news related to international reproductive health.
- Quickly write pieces in response to breaking news (i.e., news stories for Pathfinder site, comments on blogs, etc.) and post them on the website and other channels.
- Oversee Google AdWords account and other site traffic opportunities to drive visitors to Pathfinder initiatives and increase Pathfinder’s housefile.
- Produce new media materials including photo slideshows and videos.
- Stay abreast of current online trends and changing landscape for online communications through conferences, memberships and online forums.
Manage Pathfinder’s email marketing
- In collaboration with internal teams set priorities and strategy for Pathfinder’s email communications.
- In collaboration with internal teams, coordinate and create HTML emails for various external audiences on behalf of relevant internal groups (ie, advocacy, fundraising).
- Design and implement innovative campaigns across multiple online channels to increase Pathfinder’s online visibility.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or Liberal Arts requiring extensive writing.
- At least 4 years of experience increasing visibility for an organization using social media platforms.
- Experience creating new media content (videos, Facebook pages) and email campaigns.
- Demonstrated understanding of online communications technology and social networking including active participation in social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
- Strong grasp of elements it takes to be successful online (i.e. SEO, online relationship building, writing for the web)
- Excellent organizational and project coordination skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact professionally with a culturally diverse staff, clients and consultants.
- Must possess good judgment, flexibility and patience.
- Positive, versatile, thoughtful, and strategic thinker.
- Proven ability to be a strong team player and also work well independently.
- Ability to manage competing work assignments under tight deadlines.
- Proven research, writing, and editing skills
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office applications (in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint); Familiarity with Photoshop, InDesign and other graphics programs; knowledge of HTML and experience with web content management systems.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize deadlines.
- Master’s degree desirable.
- Familiarity with Convio extremely helpful.
- Experience working in the field of international development and/or in a non-profit setting preferred. Prefer experience working or living in a developing country.
- News writing or public relations experience highly desirable.
- Familiarity and experience creating videos for the web.
- Demonstrated passion and interest in reproductive rights, international human rights.
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
How to apply
To be considered for this position, please apply online at:http:www.pathfinder.org/about-us/careers/employment-opportunities/