Communications Manager – Energy & Finance-San Francisco, CA
Organization: Rainforest Action Network
Position Title: Communications Manager
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: Salary is competitive and benefits include health, vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO, and a 401K-type program.
Application Deadline: Not listed.
Since 1985, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. What makes RAN unique? We are a network of people that go to the roots of environmental problems. Whether it’s logging companies defacing the Boreal forest or the banks that are funding the coal industry, our focus is on the corporations that cause the most harm to our environment and our communities. We run corporate campaigns that focus on pressuring and inspiring these global titans to pass policy solutions that transform business as usual. The RAN idea is that when people come together to directly challenge corporations we can achieve David and Goliath level impacts for our forests, our communities, and our future. We believe it because we’ve seen it.
The RAN network has moved dozens of the world’s largest corporations. It was our network that pushed entertainment giant Disney and its 3,500 subsidiaries to change everything about the way they source and use paper. We moved the top eight banks in the country, including Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, and Wells Fargo, to cut funding for companies practicing mountaintop removal coal mining. We also inspired 11 of the top publishing companies in the country to stop buying paper from the endangered forests of Indonesia. And that was all within the last four years. Each time we run a campaign, we learn how to win bigger, smarter, faster, and we see the world change that much more. If that’s the kind of work you want to be part of then keep reading.
ABOUT THE POSITION: RAN’s Energy and Finance Program has succeeded in pushing leading banks like Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citi and Royal Bank of Canada to pass policies that curb investments in companies that contribute to deforestation and climate change. The program is now in its most ambitious phase, calling on the leading financiers of the coal industry, banks like Bank of America and Citi, to end their underwriting of coal completely and redirect funding into renewable energy projects.
Rainforest Action Network is seeking a Communications Manager to shape the communications strategy for our Energy and Finance program. We’re looking for someone who’s got great judgment, who’s quick on their feet and ready to seize the opportunities that the news cycle provides, and who’s excited about a campaign focused on the intersection between banks, dirty energy and climate change. The ideal candidate is fast but highly detail oriented, has strong writing skills with good instincts on campaign messaging, existing relationships with key reporters or a proven ability to build them, and a track record of taking projects to successful completion.
RESPONSIBILITIES:The Communications Manager will be responsible for leading communications for the Energy and Finance Program. The Communications Manager is primarily responsible for developing relationships with regional and national reporters and producers, pitching and placing stories, as well as serving as a campaign spokesperson. In addition, this position is tasked with overseeing the messaging strategy for the campaign and the editorial production process for communication materials. In particular the job duties include:
- Work with campaign staff to develop and implement strategic, media-worthy campaign events. Crafting long-term strategic vehicles for promoting RAN and program messages and stories.
- Handle rapid response communication, developing messages, and writing op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points and other media materials.
- Train and coach staff and volunteers in media skills.
- Cultivate relationships with vendors and other strategic allies who can help in furthering promotion of the program.
- Spearhead and manage production of creative print and online collateral, including high-impact ads and clever web videos, shareable social media content, etc.
- Conduct target- and market-specific media research as necessary to support campaign objectives.
- Write and copy-edit material for RAN publications, website and activist emails.
- Contribute to staff-wide strategy meetings, and stay current on developments in energy, finance and climate issues.
- Create press lists and keep media contact database current.
- 3 years prior experience as a media liaison or journalist involving media/press relations. Public relations experience absolutely necessary–a journalism background alone does not meet the qualifications for this job.
- 2 plus years experience with online promotion.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills that are adaptable to various offline and online media.
- Proven ability to build relationships with reporters (existing relationships with environment, climate, business and/or finance reporters and bloggers highly desired).
- Fast – you enjoy working on a deadline and can turn things around quickly.
- Strong judgment on what kinds of tactics and campaigns will attract press attention.
- Good framing and messaging skills,you understand how to talk about a campaign or a media moment in the most advantageous terms.
- Proven ability to work with advertisers and designers to develop creative offline and online content.
- Solid copy-editing skills and familiarity with AP Style.
- Familiarity with media database technology, ideally Meltwater.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities effectively in a heavy workload and coordinate complex projects.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity.
- A strong anti-oppression analysis and ability to work with Indigenous and affected communities.
- Passion for RAN’s mission and the use of non-violent direct action as a strategy for change making.
- Knowledge of issues such as energy and climate, finance, and social change movements is preferred.
The Communications Manager will be supervised by the Communications Director.
Salary: Salary is competitive and benefits include health, vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO, and a 401K-type program.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
How to apply
Please send resume and letter of interest to:email@example.com.