Staff Attorney-Bakersfield, CA
Organization: Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc.
Position Title: Staff Attorney
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Hours and Compensation: 55,728 – 65,193/annual
Application Deadline: Not listed.
A medical-legal partnership is a health care delivery model that improves the health and well-being of low-income and other vulnerable populations by addressing unmet legal needs and removing legal barriers that impede health. The Medical-Legal Partnership Attorney partners with front-line physicians, nurses, case managers and others to: (1) provide direct legal assistance to patients; (2) develop/align strategies to improve health and legal institutions and practices; and (3) change policies, all in service of ensuring vulnerable people get and stay healthy.
- Licensed by the California State Bar.
- Knowledge of the principles of civil law and their application.
- Knowledge of trial procedures and rules of evidence.
- Knowledge of legal research methods.
- Ability to present statements of facts, law and argument clearly and logically.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others..
- Must have the ability to travel to locations outside of the regular office to perform necessary legal services.
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish and English desirable.
- Community lawyering; working with low-income clients.
- Experience in health, housing, education, or environmental justice plus.
- Firmly integrate within the South Kern Building Healthy Communities and with other local and state partners to collaboratively address systemic barriers to health and well-being in the areas of health, housing, education, and environmental justice
- Co-locate at designated clinic locations.
- Screen referrals and provide advocacy in cases that help build the case for addressing systemic barriers to health and/or well-being outcomes in South Kern.
How to apply:
To apply please submit resume, cover letter, legal writing sample and three professional references to:
Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc.
Attn: Human Resource Dept.
615 California Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93304