Research Assistant, Forests & Livelihood Portfolio-Indonesia
Organization: Center for International Forestry Research
Position Title: Research Assistant
Hours and Compensation: Not listed
Application Deadline: 30 April 2014
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
CIFOR is looking for a
Research Assistant: Global Comparative Study on REDD+ Module 2
CIFOR’s research on Forests and Livelihoods is one of three research portfolios. The portfolio focuses on building understanding of how improved policies and practices, related to the management and use of forests and forested landscapes, can enhance the livelihoods of all people, particularly the poor and disadvantaged. This research team brings together a range of social science disciplines including economics, anthropology, sociology, social geography, and collaborates with scientists and projects in other disciplines. It is conducted within the context of CGIAR Research Programs on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (CRP6) and Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CRP7). The Research Assistant will work under the supervision of the Senior Research Officer in providing data support for the preparation of upcoming Global Comparative Study on REDD+ Module 2 publications.
Summary of responsibilities
The Research Assistant will assist the Senior Research Officer of Global Comparative Study (GCS) on REDD+, Module 2 on Subnational Initiatives, in managing the Survey of Project Implementation (SPI) database of 23 sub-national REDD+ initiatives. The primary role of the position is to maintain the database, extract data needed for analysis and assist in preparation of publications.
1. Maintain the SPI Database
- Maintain and update the Survey of Project Implementation (SPI) database.
- Check and clean data related to SPI in collaboration with country teams.
- Maintain communication with other team members, in particular country teams and field research supervisors, in updating the latest data on SPI.
2. Process and provide data required for the analysis and preparation of GCS REDD+ M2 Publications
- Extract and process data from the SPI database.
- Prepare data, graphs and charts for report writing and publications.
- Assist in reporting (e.g., minutes of meetings, translations).
- Other duties as required by the project.
Education, knowledge and experience
- Bachelor Degree (S1) from any major. A degree in statistics, economics, forestry or science is preferred.
- Good command of English is required.
- Experience is not required.
- Skills set: Quantitative research, statistics, MS Excel, data processing and analysis. Familiarity with MS Access is preferred but not necessary.
- Familiarity with forests and climate change/REDD+ is helpful but not required.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
- Demonstrates initiative, capable of working independently and as an effective team player.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
We are looking for people who share our mission and our commitment to professionalism, innovation, impact and collaboration.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a nationally recruited position. CIFOR offers a competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
- The contract is for 8 (eight) months with the position based in Bogor, Indonesia.
How to apply
- The application deadline is 30 April 2014
- We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit our carrer site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.