Organization: UNDP Environment and Energy Group (EEG)
Title: RESULTS AND KNOWLEDGE SPECIALIST – WATERS AND OCEANS
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: part time
Application Deadline: 12 December 2011
Start Date: 01-Feb-2012
Posted On: 28-Nov-2011
UNDP Environment and Energy Group (EEG) is based in UNDP’s Bureau of Development Policy and is responsible for providing leadership and technical support to support the delivery of the Environment and Sustainable Development pillar of UNDP’s Strategic Plan. Its main focus is on helping countries develop the capacity to fully incorporate environmental sustainability into development at national and local, but also at global and regional, levels. The principal areas of work are in environmental mainstreaming, environmental finance, adaptation to climate change, and local governance of resources, including energy.
With its technical focus, the Environment and Energy Group (EEG) is organized into substantive technical teams with a Principal or Senior Technical Advisor (PTA) being the team leader within each area. Each team leader supports and guides a team of Regional Technical Advisors and Specialists (RTAs/RTSs) and a Results and Knowledge Specialist (RKS). As well as being a member of a technical team, each RKS is also a member of a global team of RKSs led by the Results Management Adviser.
The PTAs and RTAs/RTSs are also responsible for providing detailed knowledge related to sources of funds for environment work, and assisting partners to obtain, use, and report on, such funding. Currently the main sources of funds include: the Global Environment Facility (GEF); the GEF managed Adaptation Funds (LDCF, SCCF); the UNFCCC Adaptation Fund; the CDM and voluntary carbon markets; and various bilateral, multilateral, and sub-national donors and partners including country governments, NGOs, and the private sector.
The Results and Knowledge Specialist (RKS) works under the overall supervision of the Principal Technical Advisor and in close association with the Results Management Specialist. RKSs have a secondary line of reporting to the Results Management Specialist, based in the HQ, and also work in close collaboration with other RKSs in other Regional Service Centers. The RKS for Waters and Oceans will be based in New York, however, this is a global position and may be periodically redeployed, in accordance with capability, consent, and due process, to a different global centre as needed.
|Results and Performance measurement (25%):
- Ensure quantitative and qualitative global technical results data is aligned with the expected objectives and outcomes of the technical team, and is designed to support adaptive management;
- Manage the annual monitoring process of progress made toward delivering global technical programme/project results and the provision of management support across the global technical portfolio;
- Review and verify quality of global technical results data, and develop capacities to measure results;
- Consolidate and analyze the global technical results achieved, and benchmark progress against targets;
- Coordinate the independent evaluation of projects in the global technical portfolio, ensure UNDP and donor requirements are met, and identify and implement efficiencies in these processes;
- Review mid-term and final evaluations for compliance with TORs, and coordinate preparation of the management response to the same.
- Prepare global annual performance reports for the technical team in accordance with internal and external requirements;
- Coordinate with the other RKSs to gather the results data needed to support the preparation of a global annual performance report in accordance with internal and external requirements;
- Identify synergies and efficiencies in various donor and corporate Monitoring & Evaluation and reporting requirements to ensure the results reporting provides relevant and reliable information to programme/project boards, UNDP, donors and other stakeholders.
Knowledge Management and learning (approximately 20%):
- Consolidate quantitative and qualitative global technical results data such that it can be used to inform and improve technical strategies and planning, and internal policies and procedures;
- Identify and document flagship/good practice projects in the global thematic portfolio;
- Develop and coordinate global thematic knowledge networks to help replicate good practice;
- Ensure global thematic portfolio lessons and learning is systematically codified, easily accessible, meaningful and valuable for both internal and external partners;
- Support the development of standardized results management tools to be applied across all thematic teams.
Communication (approximately 25%):
- Consolidate global Waters and Oceans technical team results into global communication messages and materials;
- Assist the development and maintenance of Global Waters and Oceans communication tools such as website, awareness and advocacy print materials, LOGOS, and internal protocols.
Partnerships and Self Development (10%):
- Provide support to the technical team in information management systems, efficient work flow and management solutions, and pro-active outreach and communications;
- Support the organization of global thematic team meetings;
- A personal learning plan is developed to continuously improve skills and knowledge to most effectively support the technical team.
- Demonstrated understanding of the physical, biological, social and economic issues related to environmentally sustainable development, ecosystem services and climate change;
- Demonstrated competence in quantitative and qualitative monitoring systems, analysis and reporting and communications;
- Sound knowledge of project design, implementation, oversight and supervision;
- Proven ability in computer skills.
- Strategic vision, sound judgment, strong technical skills and analytical capacities;
- Demonstrates commitment to the UN’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, adaptability, nationality and age sensitivity.
Task Management Skills
- Demonstrated ability to produce quality outputs in a timely manner;
- Proven ability to analyze problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations;
- Demonstrates ability to develop creative solutions to particularly challenging issues.
Partnering and Networking
- Proven ability to advocate effectively, engaging others to take action in desired directions;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across different constituencies;
- Commitment to team work and to working across disciplines;
- Demonstrated interest in new learning and keeping abreast of new developments in the relevant technical fields and to develop own skills.
- Strong analytical, writing, communication and advocacy skills;
- Ability to explain complex issues to UNDP staff and external partners.
- Proven ability to recognize and respond appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others;
- Demonstrated ability to respect individual/cultural differences;
- Proven ability to set clear performance goals and standards; and execute responsibilities accordingly;
- Proven ability to provide and respond constructively to feedback.
- Master’s degree in environmental management, environmental science, environmental studies, development studies or other closely related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience preferably in the area of water resources management and/or marine and coastal resources management, or other closely related field;
- Experience with portfolio management, project development, implementation and management, especially UNDP/GEF projects;
- Experience with results management, indicator development, monitoring and evaluation;
- IT skills, familiarity with e-presentation techniques and ability to operate with on-line web-based applications;
- Excellent drafting ability, presentation, and communication skills, both oral and written;
- Work experience in an international organization is an advantage, as is knowledge of UNDP policies and procedures;
- Previous experience with GEF mechanisms will be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required (written and verbal);
- Fluency in French or Spanish including excellent writing skills highly desirable;
- Proficiency in other UN languages is an asset.
How To Apply
To learn more and apply, visit http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?job_id=26857 .