Conducting Program for Fellows and Colleagues
June 29–July 24
Available as a two-week session or as a full four-week session.
Fellows and Colleagues study with Maestro Farberman and guest conductors and composers in all Institute sessions.
Fellows work with the Institute Orchestra five days a week in morning sessions; Colleagues work with the Institute String Quintet in afternoon sessions four days a week and with the Institute Orchestra on Fridays. Those who attend the full four-week program have more than three hours of podium time.
Though the four-week program offers optimum opportunity for the study of varied repertoire with the entire faculty, students may choose to attend a consecutive two-week unit. Participants may also include the one-week program (Prelude, June 22–26) in Visual Score Study/Baton Placement and Body Movement Technique with the conducting program.
Repertoire for 2015
Week I (June 29–July 3)
- Berlioz — Roman Carnival Overture
- Mahler — Symphony No. 1 in D Major, “Titan” (mvmt. 1)
- Mozart — Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K.550 (mvmts. 1 & 2)
- Prokofiev — Symphony No. 5 in B-flat Major, Op. 100 (mvmt. 1)
Week II (July 6–10)
- Brahms — Variations on a Theme of Joseph Haydn, op. 56a
- Mahler — Symphony No. 1 in D Major, “Titan” (mvmt. 2)
- Mozart — Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K.550 (mvmts. 3 & 4)
- Prokofiev — Symphony No. 5 in B-flat Major, Op. 100 (mvmt. 2)
Week III (July 13–17)
- Beethoven — Concerto for Violin in D Major, Op. 61
- Mahler — Symphony No. 1 in D Major, “Titan” (mvmt. 3)
- Prokofiev — Symphony No. 5 in B-flat Major, Op. 100 (mvmt. 4)
- Strauss — Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28
Week IV (July 20–24)
- Mahler—Symphony No. 1 in D Major, “Titan” (mvmt. 4)
- Prokofiev—Symphony No. 5 in B-flat Major, Op. 100 (mvmt. 3)
- Harold Farberman—Medea, A One-Act Chamber Opera
- $2,625 for the complete four-week session
- $1,350 for a two-week session
- $2,025 for the complete four-week session
- $1,050 for a two-week session
Note: Applicants may not be accepted in the category for which they apply; an applicant's status may also be adjusted after auditions at the Institute. Tuition will be adjusted accordingly.