Live Auditions and RepertoireThe auditions will take place in late February or early March in both New York City and on the Bard campus. Auditions are by invitation only. Shortlisted applicants will receive an invitation to audition no later than December 15.
International students may send a video audition if they are not able to travel to the United States for the final auditions. Applicants should use the live audition repertoire requirements for their video. Special arrangements for submission of this video should be made with the director of admissions at email@example.com. However, international applicants are strongly encouraged to audition in person if at all possible.
- Genre requirements: Include three art songs and two arias (one may be from an oratorio)
- Language requirements: Four languages; one must be English, and one should be in the singer's native language (if the singer is not a native English speaker)
- Style requirements: The repertoire presented should be in a variety of time periods and styles, tempos, mood, and character. One piece must be written in a contemporary idiom (see prescreening guidelines for clarification)
Example Audition RepertoireExample audition offering by singer whose native language is English.
- Stravinsky - Ann Trulove's Aria, from The Rake's Progress
- Mozart - "Deh vieni, non tardar", from Le Nozze di Figaro
- Schubert - Du liebst mich nicht
- Faure - Puisque l'aube grandit, from La bonne chanson
- Prokofiev - The Grey-Eyed King, from Five Poems of Anna Akhmatova, Op. 27