Fire Safety Policies
Only UL-compliant appliances may be used. Bard is an EPA Energy Star partner. Whenever possible, electrical items used on campus should have the Energy Star logo. The following electrical equipment may be used in student rooms: alarm clock, fan, hair dryer, computer, iron with automatic shut-off, radio, stereo, television, study lamp, humidifier, and combined microwave/refrigerator units rented from the Bard College-approved vendor. No other microwaves are allowed. The following may be used in suite and common area kitchenettes, but not in students’ rooms: coffee maker, popcorn maker, toaster oven, hot plate, hot pot, rice cooker, and individual microwave oven. Lighting should use compact fluorescent bulbs or LED bulbs to save energy and decrease the risk of fire. The following may not be used in any residence hall: any exposed coil heater, heating pad, portable heater (except those provided by the Office of Residence Life or Buildings & Grounds), candles, incense, air conditioners or extension cords. Surge protecting power strips plugged directly into a wall socket are permissible. Any prohibited item is subject to confiscation. Requests to use residence halls for art installations or projects, especially those that involve electricity or use of common space cannot be granted due to fire-code regulations.
Candles & Incense
Candles and incense are prohibited on campus*. Anyone found having a candle(s) or incense will incur at minimum a $100 fine with 20 hours of restitution to the community to a maximum fine of $500 per candle or incense stick, and the items will be confiscated. Any student responsible for a fire started by a burning candle or incense may lose the privilege to live on campus and will be financially responsible for all associated damages. Students seeking permission to use candles or incense for religious observances are encouraged to contact the Chaplaincy (ext. 6080) to seek alternate locations on campus.
*unless approved by the Director of Housing for special, supervised occasions or events (i.e. Religious events held in Manor Café)
Ceiling and Wall Coverings
In compliance with New York State law, ceiling coverings are expressly prohibited as they pose an additional fire hazard.
Flammable materials (including but not limited to; photographs, posters, tapestries and other decorative items) may NOT be placed on any wall by the head, foot, side or ceiling of a bed
3/4 of the overall wall space must remain free from flammable items.
The College reserves the right to confiscate or remove any items affixed to the ceiling or on the walls by the head, foot or side of the bed.
Smoking is not permitted in the interiors of any buildings, nor on balconies, breezeways or decks of any buildings. Anyone found smoking in a prohibited area will be fined a minimum of a $100 with 20 hours of restitution to the community to a maximum of $500. Any student responsible for a fire started from smoking, or improper disposal of smoking materials may lose the privilege to live on campus and will be financially responsible for all associated damages.
Cut trees are not permitted in residence hall rooms or common spaces as they cannot be properly treated with flame retardant solutions. Any decorations must be flame retardant by checking tags or wrappers prior to their purchase. Decorations must not be placed in front of exits and covering doors. All lights must be tagged as having been approved by Underwriters Laboratories. Discard damaged light sets (frayed wires, loose connections, broken/cracked sockets). All electrical decorations must be unplugged when unattended.
The use of open flame, such as candles and incense is strictly prohibited. However, if a student is seeking permission to use candles or incense for religious observances, they are encouraged to contact the Chaplaincy (ext. 6080) to seek alternate locations on campus. Winter seasonal holiday decorations composed of food items should be removed and disposed of before leaving campus for Winter Break.