Bard College Student Handbook

Evaluation and Grades

Every student receives a criteria sheet in every course that contains midterm and final grades and comments by the instructor about the student’s performance.

Grading System  The academic divisions regularly use a letter grading system, although in some instances a pass/fail option may be requested. Students must ­submit a request before the end of the drop/add period to take a course pass/fail. Professors may accommodate requests at their own discretion. An honors grade (H) in the Arts Division is the equivalent of an A. Unless the instructor of a course ­specifies otherwise, letter grades (and their grade-point equivalents) are defined as follows. (The grades A+, D+, and D- are not used at Bard.)
  • A, A– (4.0, 3.7) Excellent work
  • B+, B, B– (3.3, 3.0, 2.7) Work that is more than satisfactory
  • C+, C (2.3, 2.0) Competent work
  • C–, D (1.7, 1.0) Performance that is poor, but deserving of credit
  • F Failure to reach the standard required in the course for credit

Incomplete (I) Status  All work for a course must be submitted no later than the date of the last class of the semester, except in extenuating medical or personal circumstances beyond a student’s control. In such situations, and only in such situations, a designation of Incomplete (I) may be granted by the professor at the end of the semester to allow a student extra time to complete the work of the course. It is recommended that an incomplete status not be maintained for more than one semester, but a professor may specify any date for the completion of the work. In the absence of specification, the registrar will assume that the deadline is the end of the semester after the one in which the course was taken. At the end of the time assigned, the I will be changed to a grade of F unless another default grade has been specified. Requests for grade changes at later dates may always be submitted to the Faculty Executive Committee.

Withdrawal (W) from Courses  After the drop/add deadline, a student may withdraw from a course with the written consent of the instructor (using the proper form, available in the Office of the Registrar). Withdrawal from a course after the withdrawal deadline requires permission from the Faculty Executive Committee. In all cases of withdrawal, the course appears on the student’s criteria sheet and grade transcript with the designation of W.

Registration (R) Credit   Students who wish to explore an area of interest may register for an R credit course (in addition to their regular credit courses), which will be entered on their record but does not earn credits toward graduation. To receive the R credit, a student’s attendance must meet the requirements of the instructor.