Dean of Student Affairs

Student Handbook

Contact Us

For further information, contact:

The Dean of Student Affairs Office
Bard College
PO Box 5000
Annandale-on-Hudson, NY 12504

Phone: 845-758-7454

Health Services

Robbins Annex, phone: 7433



Monday–Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. by appointment

Thursday evening clinic 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. by appointment

Staffed by four nurse practitioners, a part-time physician, a registered nurse, an administrative assistant, and a receptionist, the Health Service provides outpatient care to all registered undergraduate students and promotes optimum physical, emotional, intellectual, and social well-being through primary health care.

In case of a medical emergency, call the Bard Emergency Medical Service (Bard EMS) at 7777 or Safety and Security at 7460 for transportation to Northern Dutchess Hospital. Students under 18 must supply parental or guardian permission for treatment in the event of an emergency.

Health and Immunization Records Prior to registration, all students must complete a health form that includes a personal medical history, results of a physical examination by a physician or nurse practitioner, and an immunization record documented by a health care provider. Particular attention must be paid to current immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella as required by the New York State Department of Health. Students who do not comply with this requirement are not allowed to register for classes. Students must also sign a form required by New York State that they have been informed about the meningitis vaccine.

Allergy Clinic Allergy injections or other prescribed medications may be administered by the Health Service by appointment. A written statement and schedule from the prescribing physician must be submitted. Injections are given under the supervision of the College physician. Students must supply and pay for their own medication.

Medical Equipment For a fee, students may obtain the following medical equipment from the Health Service: crutches $20, canes $10, heating pads $20, peak flow meters $25, opti chambers $14, or thermometers $5.

Medical Expenses The College charges all undergraduate students a health fee. One portion of the fee allows access to the Health Service, while the other pays the cost of the supplemental accident and health insurance. The Bard supplemental insurance is not meant to take the place of a major medical insurance plan that the student has through his or her family. Costs not covered by the family’s or Bard’s insurance are the responsibility of the student. Students are responsible for completing insurance forms. Accident and health insurance brochures are available at the Health Service. Questions concerning insurance claims and payments should be directed to the Health Services administrative assistant at 845-758-7077.

Medical Syringes Students who use injection medicine, such as insulin, must properly dispose of their needles in sharps containers and not in the general trash. Disposing needles in the general trash places an unfair risk of needle puncture on our housekeeping workers, buildings and grounds staff, BERD staff, and your fellow hall mates. The Student Health Service will provide FREE sharps containers. The Student Health Service will also take them back when they are full because there is regular biohazard pickup at the Health Service. If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at ext. 7433. Improper disposal of needles will result in a fine of $50.00.

Medical Transportation Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to any off-campus medical appointments. Students are advised to call a local taxi service and be prepared to pay the charges at the time of service. The Bard shuttle service is available according to a published schedule.

Medications prescribed by the College physician or nurse practitioner are dispensed at the Health Service. Students are charged at cost for most medications dispensed at the Health Service. Medications are billed to the student’s Bard account. Prescriptions from private physicians must be filled at a local pharmacy.

Notification of Illness Students are required to notify instructors directly about absences due to illness. Instructors may call the Health Service for verification of a student’s illness, which will be given only with the student’s authorization. The Dean of Student Affairs Office will send notification of illness to instructors only when a student has seen a member of the Health Service. The Health Service will then provide documentation or notification to the Dean of Student Affairs Office for a note to be sent to the student’s faculty members. Students are responsible for contacting their faculty members about any missed work. Some faculty may not accept students’ absences for illness even with documentation.

Peer Health Educator Program The Peer Health Educators is a diverse group of Bard students trained to educate their classmates about health and wellness issues in a positive, interactive, fun and non-judgmental manner. The program is facilitated by the Wellness Coordinator in conjunction with the Dean of Student Affairs Office and Health Services. There is an application process for interested students at the beginning of each fall semester.

Smoking Cessation The Health Service strongly encourages and supports students’ efforts to quit smoking. For individuals, we offer smoking-cessation counseling, self-help materials, medication prescriptions and advice about the different options available, and close follow-up and e-mail support. For groups, one of our nurse practitioners has American Lung Association certification to run smoking-cessation workshops. We will run an on-campus group session if there are six students who will commit to a 12-week program. Some helpful websites for those contemplating quitting are,, and

Special Diets A student with a medical condition requiring a special diet prescribed by a physician must submit a letter to the director of the Health Service from his or her physician stating the medical diagnosis and the specific dietary requirements. The student must then submit the medical diet to the Director of Food Services and the Dean of Student Affairs Office.