As part of Bard College, ECLA’s curriculum now includes the Bard in Berlin program for study abroad students and Begin in Berlin for Bard College first-years. Courses in the humanities and social sciences take advantage of ECLA’s location in one of the world’s most artistically scintillating and historically layered cities. Students may intern with an NGO, arts institution, or other organization. Students may also enroll in German language courses.
Study options at ECLA of Bard include:
Through Bard College:
Through ECLA of Bard:
- Four-year B.A.
- Academy Year, a one-year program in which students take core and elective courses
- Project Year, in which students complete an individualized yearlong project
How to Apply
ECLA of Bard and Bard in Berlin are now accepting applications. ECLA has a need-blind admissions policy. Financial aid and scholarships are available.
- Prospective ECLA of Bard students: Apply to ECLA of Bard online for the four-year B.A., Academy Year, and Project Year at www.ecla.de.
- Enrolled Bard College first-year students: Apply to Begin in Berlin after officially enrolling at Bard. Up to 12 Bard College students have the opportunity to spend all or part of their first year in Berlin.
- Current Bard students or students from other U.S. colleges: Apply to Bard in Berlin online.
About ECLA of Bard Among German universities, ECLA of Bard is unique by virtue of its small size, intimate atmosphere, coherent and imaginative curriculum, and decidedly international composition. Students work with faculty from different backgrounds on moral, political, epistemic, religious, and aesthetic questions, with the understanding that such questions are naturally and deeply connected. Members of the ECLA of Bard community share the facilities of a residential campus and the cultural riches of one of Europe's most dynamic capitals. Interactive teaching, a convivial campus atmosphere, and small, discussion-centered classes create an opportunity for intensive dialogue both inside and outside the classroom.
Since its founding in 1999 as the European College of Liberal Arts, ECLA has provided liberal arts education in a diverse, international community, dedicated to sound scholarship, collaboration, and dialogue, with an emphasis on personal growth, set in one of Europe’s most vibrant and rapidly developing capital cities—Berlin. Now as part of Bard College, ECLA of Bard is experiencing its own exciting period of growth and inclusion into Bard’s international community, joining a worldwide network of institutions with campuses in the United States; West Bank; Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; Budapest, Hungary; and St. Petersburg, Russia.