Bard College at Simon's Rock
Director of the Daniel Arts Center
Bard College at Simon's Rock seeks an experienced and energetic individual to serve as our Director of the College’s Daniel Arts Center.
The Daniel Arts Center (DAC) is a major (more than 50,000 square feet) facility and a regional cultural destination. It includes the 350-seat McConnell Theater; the 100-seat Liebowitz Studio Theater, a black box theater offering flexible seating and staging options for experimental productions; and the Beckerman Dance Studio. The Center’s visual arts wing includes studios dedicated to every media; a separate building includes studios dedicated to 3-D design, sculpture, and ceramics; a wood/metal studio; and a sculpture terrace. Campus galleries host rotating exhibits featuring work from established and emerging artists, including students.
This position offers the unique opportunity to apply experience, expertise, and leadership skills in overseeing the programming at a residential college.
Reporting to the Dean of Academic Affairs, the Director of the Daniel Arts Center duties include:
• serve as liaison with faculty re: programming in arts facilities (esp. thesis performances, productions) and with gallery supervisor re: exhibits;
• serve as developmental liaison with local and regional arts organizations and agencies;
• oversee DAC calendar;
• oversee DAC staff (e.g,. photo studio assistant); oversee that all DAC spaces and facilities are up to code; oversee staffing of non-performing/studio arts events;
• support performing arts program as needed;
• serve as academic-technical liaison between production staff and arts program faculty as needed (e.g., stage management);
• serve as liaison for DAC programs to external and internal constituents (e.g., physical plant, ITS, academic affairs);
• coordinate/negotiate outside rentals of campus facilities;
• facilitate performing arts program/event development;
• teach one or two arts production/management classes per year.
The successful candidate will possess:
• five to seven years of experience in a relevant environment with increasing responsibility;
• knowledge of and ability to apply best practices in managing an art facility, preferably in an academic setting;
• successful supervisory experience including the ability to hire, train, supervise, motivate, and evaluate performance;
• excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills;
• understanding of a liberal arts environment;
• an affinity for working with diverse, bright, curious, independent, and creative students;
• experience working with and supporting students and staff from diverse backgrounds and identities, including underrepresented minorities and international students;
• flexibility, creativity, and a sense of humor.
Simon’s Rock is the nation’s only four-year residential early college, providing bright, highly motivated students with the opportunity to begin college after the tenth or eleventh grade. At Simon’s Rock, younger students who successfully complete the requirements receive the Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree after two years and the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree after four. Our student population numbers approximately 400, and 90% live on campus. Simon's Rock is committed to student success, both in and outside the classroom.
This is a full-time, 12-month per year position with excellent employee benefits. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background search. Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include "DAC Director" in the subject line) or by fax (413 528-7248). No phone calls, please. Review process begins immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For more information about the College, see our website at www.simons-rock.edu.
Bard College at Simon's Rock is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from individuals who contribute to its diversity.