Immunization Information

Immunization Information
New York State Public Health Law 22165 requires that all undergraduate, graduate, and professional students demonstrate acceptable proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella to the school at the time of enrollment. This law applies only to students born on or after January 1, 1957.

Bard College is mandated by New York State law to enforce this requirement. Bard College submits an annual report to the NYS Department of Health, and is also subject to audits by the State regarding the students' immunizations.

Providing proof of immunization is a preadmission requirement. Students found in violation of this requirement via NYS audit will be billed the fine, which is currently $2000.

Immunization and medical forms are due JULY 1st or 30 days prior to your first semester at Bard. Registration for classes may be blocked if the forms are not on file by the start of the semester.


There are many resources available to assist with your decision to stop smoking. We offer nicotine replacement products and counseling at Health Service. Or you can get advice and free nicotine replacement products from New York State here.
Also check out the Quit Smoking Community or join their Facebook group for online support.


Health Service is here to support your health and wellbeing during your tenure at Bard. We can help with most routine health issues. If you are unwell or have health concerns please call to schedule an appointment with one of our Nurse Practitioners.

INFLUENZA 2017-2018
According to the CDC, we are having an early flu season with cases already identified in Dutchess County. Currently, (12/6/17) the most widespread influenza activity is present in Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, and Oklahoma, while 10 states including Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, and Washington are affected by regional flu activity.

The best treatment is prevention. It is NOT too late to get a flu shot, which is still available at HS as well as at most pharmacies. Good hygiene, i.e., proper hand washing, keeping your hands off your face, and limiting your exposure to other people's saliva, goes a long way.

The flu is not just a bad cold. Symptoms of the flu are sudden onset of fever and chills, body aches, cough, headache and fatigue. You may also have vomiting and diarrhea but you may not have a stuffy or runny nose. You can easily be sick for over a week with the flu.

*Stay home in bed but make sure someone knows you are there. Going to class spreads the virus and may hinder your recovery but completely isolating yourself is also not great.
*Remember to cover your sneezes and coughs, or cough into your elbow, use disposable tissues, wash your hands frequently, and stay away from large groups of people (especially the very young and very old). 
*Take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) for fever and body aches, and make sure you are drinking enough non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic fluids.
*If you are having trouble breathing, have a chronic illness such as asthma, if your symptoms are severe or not improving, please make an appointment at HS or call BEMS if after hours.


We are open Monday through Thursday from 9AM- 7PM
Friday 9AM-- 5PM
Please call for an appointment 845-758-7433.

Please note: You do NOT have to have the Bard insurance to be seen here.

We have a new Electronic Medical Record that does not work if we do not have your complete insurance information.
Please bring your most current insurance card with you to each visit.
If you only have a scanned copy of the card, you must either print it out (front and back)
or email it to healthservice@bard.edu prior to your visit.

Need to get to an appointment off campus? UBER and LYFT are now both available in the area, if you choose not to use a Zip car. As there is a limited amount of drivers available (the services just started in September), you should plan extra time for travel (it can take 30 mins for a driver to arrive). The CATS program is still available for mental health appointments.


 New York State and Bard College Requirements for Class Attendance:
All information must be in English and certified by a medical provider.

1. MMR
One of the following is required:
  • Proof of two measles, mumps, rubella vaccines (MMR1 and MMR2). MMR1 must be given after your first birthday (it may be given up to 4 days early), and MMR 2 must be given at least 28 days after MMR1.
  • A blood test showing immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.
  • Must be completed and signed.

New York State permits ONLY the following exemptions from the MMR immunization requirement:
  • If you were born after January 1, 1957
  • Students with a MEDICAL contraindication to a specific vaccine. Sufficient documentation must be submitted by the student's medical provider, stating the reason for the contraindication and an end date, if applicable.
  • Students with a strong RELIGIOUS conviction against vaccination. To request this exemption, you are required to submit a signed statement that explains in your own words why you are requesting this exemption and describes the religious principles that guide your objection to immunization. Please also indicate whether you are opposed to all immunizations, and if not all, the religious basis that prohibits particular immunizations. If the student is under 18 at the time of admission, the form will need to be signed by the parent/guardian, and the student will need to resubmit the documentation once they are 18 years old. Bard College requires that this form be notarized by a notary public, and may require additional supporting documents.
  • Health Service will notify you as to the approval or denial of your request. If the request is denied, the notification will include specific reasons for denial. You can appeal a denial to the NYS Dept of Health Immunization Program within 30 days.
  • New York State law does not accept PHILOSOPHICAL waivers. Under Department of Health regulation 10 NYCRR, Section 66-1.3 (d), philosophical, scientific, political, or sociological objections to immunizations do not justify an exemption.
In the event of a measles, mumps, or rubella case on campus, students who are not immunized will be required to receive the necessary vaccine, if possible, or leave campus for a period of time determined by the incubation period of the particular disease at their own expense.

For help or if you have any questions, please contact Health Service at (845) 758-7433 or see the New York State website for Frequently Asked Questions.