Our Los Angeles Community
The Bard MAT program is located just west of Downtown in the culturally vibrant MacArthur Park/Westlake neighborhood--a first stop for immigrant families moving in to Los Angeles, and one of the most densely populated areas of the United States.
In this Central LA setting, Bard MAT graduate students earn a degree and credential while making a discernible difference in a part of the city known for its energy, creativity, struggle, and inequality. Candidates work as mentors and teachers in local schools and organizations serving adolescents who possess every potential to become the first in their families to attend college. With this extensive community knowledge, Bard MAT graduates are uniquely positioned to actively participate in bold initiatives like restorative justice and the city’s new ethnic studies curriculum.
Bard MAT currently shares a campus with Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA), an organization “providing underserved youth with exceptional programs in academics, arts and athletics within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education and strengthen their communities.” The majority of Bard MAT students complete after-school student mentoring residencies at HOLA or similar community-based educational organizations.
Los Angeles Placement Schools
- Los Angeles County High School for the Arts (LACHSA)
- Los Angeles High School for the Arts
- Los Angeles School for Visual Arts and Humanities
- LA County Juvenile Court Schools
- UCLA Community School
- Ambassador School for Global Leadership
- New Open World Academy
- Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools
- Miguel Contreras: Academic Learning Center
- Larchmont Charter Schools
- Young Oak Kim Middle School
- Santee High School
- Roosevelt High School
- Hollenbeck Middle School
- Monsignor Oscar Romero Charter School