Bard, A Place to Think - Master of Arts in Teaching
Bard College and the MAT Program have modified the concept to support change in the public schools by improving teaching and learning relative to public secondary school students, student teachers, and educators at the public schools as well as at Bard College.
The MAT Program is ideally situated to further three interdependent goals:
- Preparing teachers
The apprenticeships that MAT students serve in the partner schools exceed what is demanded by more conventional programs. MAT students not only participate as active interns by teaching classes but also conduct original research in collaboration with public school faculty.
- Improving secondary and postsecondary education
Public school teachers and MAT faculty alike gain valuable insights into central issues of teaching and learning. The challenges faced by public schools provoke particularly useful reconsiderations of how to teach at the college level across curricula and disciplines.
- Supporting the revision of public school programs
The faculty of the MAT Program, Bard College, and the Institute for Writing and Thinking are committed to supporting the initiatives of participating public school teachers and their schools. The MAT Program encourages public school teachers to engage in the reflection that is necessary for them to become better educators and, therefore, leaders in the improvement of education and schools.
Bard College and the MAT Program have confirmed partnerships with several public school districts -
Hudson Valley (rural):
- Chatham Central Schools, Chatham, New York
- Hyde Park Central Schools, Hyde Park, New York
- Kingston City Schools, Kingston, New York
- Onteora Central Schools, Boiceville, New York
- Red Hook Central Schools, Red Hook, New York
New York City (urban): Bard High School Early College I, New York, NY
- Bard High School Early College I, New York, NY
- Bard High School early College II, Queens, NY
- Fannie Lou Hamer MIddle School, Bronx, NY
- Fannie Lou Hamer Freedom High School, Bronx, NY
- International Community High School, Bronx, NY
- New Day Academy, Bronx, NY
- Urban Assembly Academy of History and Citizenship for Young Men, Bronx, NY
- Urban Assembly The Bronx Academy of Letters, Bronx, NY
- Urban Assembly the Bronx School for Law, Government, and Justice, Bronx, NY
- Urban Assembly School for Wildlife Conservation, Bronx, NY