Res Life Logo
  • First-Year Student Check in

    First-Year Student Check in First-Year Student Check in
  • Move-in Day!

    Move-in Day! Move-in Day!
First-Year Student Check in1 Move-in Day!2

Good things to know before arriving to Bard

Refrigerator Rental Information

Graduate & Transfer Students

Limited on-campus housing is available for newly admitted Gratudate and Transfer students. Click the link to find out more.

Newly-Accepted First-Year Students

The Bard campus offers more than 40 student residences that embrace a wide range of architectural characteristics, social styles, and sizes. All have Internet access, social rooms, kitchens, and laundry facilities. Many boast beautiful views of the Catskill Mountains to the west. Most residence halls are coed, with first-year students assigned to double and triple occupancy rooms. All first-year and sophomore students are guaranteed housing.

First-Year Housing

All first-year unmoderated students are required to live on campus and are assigned to live with at least one roommate. First-year students are assigned housing based on the timely submission of a Housing Profile and Facility Use Agreement form found on the Admissions Office website or here. Although it is often difficult to fulfill specific requests, every effort is made by the Office of Residence Life & Housing to do so. Students are typically notified of their placement by early July via their Bard email which is assigned in June. Students are housed for Language & Thinking and Citizen Science in their permanent room assignments.  

Exceptions are made for first-year students requesting to live off-campus who meet the following criteria:
  • Students whose permanent residence is within 50 miles of Bard.
  • Students who are 21 years of age or older.
  • Students who are married or have appropriately documented extenuating circumstances as approved by the college.

First-Year FAQs

Some frequently asked questions are answered below. You may also download the First Year Guide
  • Can I have a pet?
  • Can I have a phone in my room?
  • Can I have guests or visitors?
  • Can I ship some of my things to campus before I move in?
  • Can I smoke in my room?
  • How will I get around campus?
  • Is there storage on campus?
  • What features can I expect my residence hall to include?
  • What is Gender Neutral Housing?
  • What size are the beds? Do you provide linens? Is there a laundry service?
  • What if I have specific needs?

Intersession Housing

When classes are not in session, residence halls are closed. Certain residence halls are designated to be used by students who have been approved by the Office of Residence Life & Housing to live on campus during intersession periods. Before the end of each term, the Office of Residence Life & Housing announces the residences that will remain open during the upcoming intersession period. These announcements include information regarding the application process for requesting housing during intersession periods.

During the period of Language & Thinking and Citizen Science, residences are closed. Only first-year students, approved students and faculty are in residence. Faculty teaching these programs reside in upper college student rooms and residence halls.

Any student not approved to be in residence during intersession periods, will be fined $200 per day or any part of a day s/he stays. No student is permitted access to a closed residence hall during intersession breaks, inclusive of Language & Thinking and Citizen Science participants. Students who are not approved to be on campus during an intersession break are not permitted to access their room without prior approval from the Office of Residence Life & Housing.