The mission of the Horticulture and Grounds Department is to provide a park-like setting that is both enjoyable and safe for all members of the Bard community and our neighbors. In the late 1980s, Bard's landscaping was sparse; lawns and trees dominated the terrain. Few ornamental areas existed, with the notable exception of the formal Blithewood Garden at the Levy Economics Institute. Since the late 1980s, Bard has undertaken more than 25 significant landscape additions and renovations, including the maintenance of the 380-acre Montgomery Place property, which is now part of the Bard campus. This historic estate includes a working 1929 greenhouse, six formal gardens, fruit orchards, a farm, and an arboretum.
Bard Grounds at a Glance
1,972 parking spaces
1,342,170 sq. ft. gross floor area