Graduate Choral Conducting Program

Scholarships and Financial Aid

Applying for Scholarships and Financial Aid

Financial Aid Application Deadline: March 1
All documents should be submitted as soon as possible after January 1, but no later than March 1.


Applying for Financial Aid (U.S. citizens)
All students who are U.S. citizens seeking financial aid should complete the FAFSA form, available online at or by request from the Bard Financial Aid Office. Bard's code number for the FAFSA is 002671.
Applying for Financial Aid (non-U.S. citizens)
International applicants are not eligible for financial assistance from the U.S. government but may qualify for other sources of aid. International applicants seeking financial aid should fill out the International Student Financial Aid Application and Certification of Finances, and submit these forms to the Conservatory.

Financial Aid website:
All documents should be submitted as soon as possible after January 1, but no later than March 1.

The conservatory is able to provide limited financial assistance, in the form of scholarships and fellowships, to students whose personal financial resources are insufficient to meet the expenses of graduate study. Funds for scholarships and fellowships are limited, and awards typically will meet only a part of a student's expenses. Students may also apply for Federal Stafford Loans, and those who are New York State residents may apply to the New York State Tuition Assistance Program. These loan and grant programs are briefly described below. More detailed information about applying for financial aid can be obtained from the Conservatory. Financial aid is administered by the Bard College Office of Financial Aid.


Eligibility for financial aid is determined each year by the demonstration of financial need. Financial need is assessed by a uniform method from financial data provided by the student on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or, for international applicants, the International Student Financial Aid form and Certificate of Finances. The FAFSA form should be sent to the federal processor as soon after January 1 as possible but no later than March 1.

To be eligible for federal student aid, applicants must not be in default of repayment of federal student loans or owe refunds on federal student grants. Awards of financial aid are made without reference to age, color, ethnic or national origin, gender, handicapping conditions, marital status, race, or sexual orientation. International students, although not eligible for financial assistance from the federal government of the United States, may qualify for aid administered by Bard College.

Refund Policy

No refunds of any fees are made in the event that a student withdraws from the program after registration, except as specified below. In no event is the deposit or housing payment refundable. In all cases, the student must submit to the Graduate Committee an official notice of intention to withdraw. The date of receipt of such a notice determines the amount of the refund. Students who officially withdraw before the first day of classes for the term in question are given a full refund, minus the nonrefundable deposit.

If official withdrawal from the program occurs in the first week of classes, 75 percent of tuition is refunded; within the second week, 60 percent; within the third or fourth week, 30 percent. After four weeks, no refunds are given. Fees for registration, student health insurance, and facilities are nonrefundable.

If a student who is receiving financial aid withdraws from the program, their award or loan is prorated. Institutional fellowships are reduced by the same percentage as indicated in the tuition refund schedule above. Federal Stafford Loans are calculated according to the federal refund policy on the amount of the loan to be returned to the lender. A student who is considering withdrawal may wish to confer with the Student Accounts Office and the Financial Aid Office concerning any anticipated refund and the amount of the federal Stafford Loan that the College must return to the lender. This amount has a direct bearing on the amount of refund, if any, that the College will provide the student.

No refund is made in cases of suspension or expulsion.