Bard College at Simon's Rock
Director of Campus SafetyBard Academy and Bard College at Simon’s Rock invites applications for the position of Director of Campus Safety. Reporting to the Vice Provost, this position provides oversight of the Campus Safety and Transportation departments and manages the development and implementation of a comprehensive campus safety plan.
We seek community-minded, team-oriented people, who have experience working with diverse communities and colleagues, to help develop and foster an inclusive and welcoming campus climate that allows young students to flourish. Applicants must be self-motivated, enthusiastic, organized, and demonstrate good judgment.
Manage and supervise Campus Safety Personnel, as well as the office of Transportation. The candidate must have a strong commitment to the support of a diverse and welcoming educational community. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these departments. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Expectations and Qualifications
- Interest in the unique educational model and mission of Simon’s Rock and in building a campus safety program to support a diverse college community.
- Manage and implement a comprehensive campus safety plan that broadly addresses campus safety and security including issues such as emergency preparedness, safety, security, lighting, emergency communication, security cameras, fire code compliance, etc.
- Coordinate the campus safety advisory committee and work with other committee members and campus partners to address safety and security concerns.
- Manage Campus Safety professional staff, ensuring all staff complete required annual Compliance Training, and create and manage staff schedules and work assignments.
- Aid in special campus events (such as Arrival Day, Commencement, Family/Friends Weekend and campus events) by providing appropriate staffing, addressing security and accessibility issues, etc.
- Serve on the campus committees addressing issues such as compliance, emergency response, accessibility, facilities, inclusion of diverse groups, etc.
- Serve as a liaison between the campus and community first responders and local government
- Prepare and maintain records and reports for department
- Oversee maintenance and inventory of safety and departmental equipment as well as coordinate with physical plant to maintain and provide necessary maintenance to fleet vehicles in use by the transportation department.
- Coordinate compliance with campus reporting requirements including Clery and Title IX.
- Work closely with the Office of Campus Life and the Wellness Center to provide support to our students.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from students, parents, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to administration, student and public groups, and boards of directors.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Must pass a background check (CORI and fingerprinting).
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school and a minimum of three to five years involved in Campus Safety work.
A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
We encourage applications from candidates of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and socioeconomic levels and will provide qualified people with reasonable accommodations pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or any other applicable state or local laws.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Simon’s Rock is an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include “Director of Campus Safety” in the subject line). No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.