Bard College at Simon's Rock
IT Network AdministratorBard College at Simon’s Rock and Bard Academy are seeking candidates who will be able to eventually assume a wide range of network administration and other duties. Our most important qualifications for this position are motivation, desire and ability to learn a wide array of tasks including technical configuration, maintenance, customization of many complex hardware devices and systems, and the ability to integrate into a collaborative team-based work environment.
This position reports to the Director of Instructional Technology and has significant interaction and involvement with members of the college community and outside vendors, and collaborates with colleagues from other institutions.
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is a residential undergraduate college of the liberal arts and sciences that strives to cultivate and maintain a welcoming environment of equity and inclusion. Simon’s Rock is the nation’s only four-year college specifically designed for younger scholars. Located in Great Barrington, the college is a unit of Bard College located in Annandale-on-Hudson in New York. In 2014, Simon’s Rock opened Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock, a two year high school program for 9th- and 10th-graders on the path to starting college early.
In addition to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons, the College has a special commitment to seeking qualified women and people of color for its faculty and professional staff.
As is stated right at the top of this posting, the ideal candidate for this position need not have extensive experience relating to all the below skills before coming on board. Much more important than any specific knowledge is an eagerness and ability to learn. The willingness to embrace technical challenges with a positive attitude in a small team environment is key, as is the willingness to “stretch” and embrace acquiring new skills such as learning new programming languages, hardware platforms and developing coding/configuration skills.
Research shows that Women and People of Color do not apply when they feel they do not meet all of the qualifications of a position. If you feel as if you do not meet the qualifications listed, please contact us at NetworkAdminSearch@simons-rock.edu.
Responsibilities may eventually include most of the following:
- Monitor and maintain stable, functional and secure data and telephone networks.
- Monitor and manage network traffic, analyzing and troubleshooting problems as they occur.
- Investigate, recommend and implement new hardware and software solutions.
- Work together with other members of the ITS department to plan and schedule upgrades to important systems and infrastructure while minimizing downtime.
- Monitor and oversee the configuration, maintenance, and updating of network switches, routers, firewalls, and other network hardware/software; install or oversee the installation of ethernet and fiber optic cabling.
- Configure packetshaper for the management of bandwidth and network resources; monitor and analyze the results of network data to optimize use and performance.
- Develop, implement, and maintain network monitoring as necessary for security and malware detection.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made; determine where network repairs, upgrades, and enhancements are warranted; implement changes and improvements.
- Troubleshoot outages or interruptions in network service; analyze and resolve wiring, hardware, and software issues.
- Plan the introduction of updated and new services on campus; facilitate network communications within and outside campus.
- Configure campus phone systems to provide robust service to faculty, staff and students on campus.
- Troubleshoot and resolve telephone hardware and wiring issues, working with other IT staff and with vendor technicians.
- Investigate new network hardware and software technology; recommend the acquisition of new technology; plan for the introduction of and the implementation of new hardware and software.
- Coordinate closely with the System Administrator, Director of Instructional Technology, Director of User Services and other staff to ensure smooth functioning of systems and network.
- Obtain configurations and quotes from vendors; work closely with senior staff inside and outside the ITS department to develop justification, pricing and funding alternatives.
- Communicate with College community (faculty, staff, students, alumni, and parents of students) regarding issues and topics related to the campus network and services.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Affinity for learning how to manipulate and maintain complex systems and hardware platforms.
- Willingness to push the bounds of one’s comfort level with regard to exploring systems, hardware, code and technical environments that may initially appear opaque and/or highly complex.
- Ability to physically lift and carry 25 pounds.
- Ability and willingness to work on ladders and also in tight quarters in order to install or service equipment deployed around campus.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability and willingness to be on periodic emergency on-call rotation as well as occasional night, weekend and very early morning work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical area or equivalent experience.
- Previous technical experience including system and network administration.
- In depth knowledge of network and telephone hardware and software.
- Familiarity with Cisco Catalyst and HP Procurve switches and routers, Cisco ASA, Cisco Meraki Wireless, Allot NetEnforcer packetshaper, and/or Samsung OfficeServ PBX.
- Interest in and/or experience with cloud-based platforms, such as Amazon Web Services
Bard College at Simon’s Rock is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from candidates of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and socioeconomic levels.
This is a full-time, 12 month-a-year, on-going position with excellent employee benefits. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Please send a letter of interest, resume and contact information for four references to Charlie Derr, Director of Instructional Technology at NetworkAdminSearch@simons-rock.edu.
No phone calls please.