Bard Early College New Orleans
Part-Time Student Supports Tutor (Math & Science Lead)Employer Website: https://apply.interfolio.com/77449
In preparation for the fall semester at Bard Early College in New Orleans, we are looking for a tutor who is comfortable reporting in person starting on September 8th for two days a week. Either Monday and Tuesday or Wednesday and Thursday from 9am to 4pm and attend a weekly one-hour Student Services Meeting. The time for that meeting will be determined based on members’ availability. The job will start remotely on August 10th and will transition in person on September 8th. The tutors should specialize in math or science and have experience tutoring ACT preparation in one of those topics. This new position has been created for capacity building should we need coverage in the building. Should BECNO be closed, this position will operate fully remotely.
BECNO is following the Orleans Parish School Board as well as the Center for Disease Control to decide on school operations for the fall due to COVID-19. As of now, BECNO is planning a hybrid model. This position is designed to support with the day to day operations for students who are present in the building. Since this format is a pilot, and since schools moving fully remote are a possibility depending on how the virus progresses, the expectation is that the part-time tutors would be able to support BECNO whether that is in person, remotely or in a hybrid capacity for the time specified.
- Collaborate with stem faculty and leading science and math support on campus
- Provide in-person and remote support for math/science classes as well as more general topics such as time management, stress management, etc. to ensure all students are set up to succeed.
- Provide essential coverage in the building
Key Responsibilities: The primary responsibilities of the Tutor are…
- Remote check-ins and student support
- Greet and check-in with students, take attendance at the start of each session
- Maintain the expectations of a productive study space
- Provide one-on-one and small group support as necessary
- Attend Student Services Meetings (One hour per week)
- Support the Dean of Students with student support plans. This may include calling students and families, academic support plan implementation, providing additional tutoring services
- Communicate notes to Dean of Students and BECNO staff and faculty as needed
- Provide remote assistance for students who are distance learning
- Support with class coverage when faculty are absent
- Bachelor’s degree or higher on math/science
- Has taken college general chemistry
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Have strong foundational math skills and ability to tutor chemistry and math students
- Experience with coaching around time and stress management
- Experience in teaching and/or tutoring in a collegiate and/or high school setting
- A demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with adolescents
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic computer skills
- A commitment to working for equity in higher education
Compensation: The compensation for this position is $4,500 per semester (August 10th through December 18th). If the start date is later, compensation will be adjusted.
To Apply: Submit a resume, cover letter and three references through Interfolio.com at: https://apply.interfolio.com/77449