Bard Prison Initiative
Administrative Assistant and Tutor Coordinator, BPIEmployer Website: https://apply.interfolio.com/88437
We seek a full-time Administrative Assistant to provide support to the overall operation of the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI). The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Candidates with appropriate experience will be considered for the additional responsibility of Tutor Coordinator. In this role, they will recruit, onboard, support, and supervise Bard Annandale undergraduate tutors, as well as coordinate logistics of the tutoring program.
Formed in 1999 to address the mass incarceration crisis, the Bard Prison Initiative (BPI) defies expectations of who college is for and where it might lead. For twenty years, BPI has reimagined and redefined questions of availability, affordability, and expectations typically associated with college in America. One of the most rigorous and effective college-in-prison programs in the country, BPI is now extending its radical intervention in educational inequity outside of prison through the Bard Microcolleges and BardBac. BPI currently enrolls 400 women and men across nine campuses. To date, students have earned 550 Bard college degrees.
Administrative Assistant Responsibilities
- Manage phones and mail
- Oversee office supplies and printers
- Maintain student files
- Coordinate college meetings
- Prepare mailings and course readers
- Run office errands as needed
- Participate in commencement preparation, set-up, and clean-up
- Provide general support for college operations
Tutor Coordinator Responsibilities
- Maintain communication with the Bard Learning Commons as well as Bard and BPI faculty and staff
- Recruit and interview prospective tutors
- Provide onboarding and ongoing support for tutors
- Maintain volunteer clearance with the Department of Corrections and coordinate the volunteer clearance application process for tutors
- Accompany tutors to BPI sites
- Cultivate an inclusive climate for current and future tutors
- Maintain accurate tutor records
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Work experience in an office setting
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to coordinate with numerous colleagues
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google programs and experience with video conferencing platforms
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information
- Candidates for the role of Tutor Coordinator will also have taken a course in tutoring pedagogy and practice and have tutored college students for at least one academic year
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time and work in standard office environment
- Must be able to occasionally lift 20 pounds
- For tutor coordinator role, must have a current driver’s license and personal vehicle OR Bard Driver status as of July 2021
- Must be able to work occasional weekends and evenings as needed
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names of three references through Interfolio.com at:http://apply.interfolio.com/88437. If you would like to be considered for Tutor Coordinator, please describe your interest in and relevant experience for that role in your letter.
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.