About the Bard Early Colleges
The Bard Early Colleges (BECs) are founded on the belief that many high school–age students are eager and ready for the intellectual challenges of a college education. The Bard Early Colleges act on this belief by providing younger scholars with a tuition-free, credit-bearing college course of study in the liberal arts and sciences following the 9th and 10th grades. Students are taught by college faculty in seminar classes; they receive up to 60 college credits and an associate in arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College, concurrently with a high school diploma.
Now in its second decade, the Bard Early College network serves over 2,900 students in campuses in Lower Manhattan and Queens, New York; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; and in Washington, DC. Since 2003, Bard College has awarded more than 3,000 A.A. degrees to its early college students.Position Objectives:
The Student Advising Coordinator will oversee the day-to-day operations of the college transfer advising program in New Orleans (Bard Early College New Orleans - BECNO), support coordinating extracurricular activities, engage with alumni and collect relevant data, serve as campus registrar and as liaison to coordinate mental health support for students with partner schools.
The Coordinator will serve as an advisor and work with students and their families on the college application process. Additionally, the Coordinator will establish relationships with college admissions representatives and help them interpret and appreciate the unique BECNO transcript. The Coordinator also assists with in-house college fairs as well as event/trip planning and data management.
The successful candidate will have strong management and interpersonal skills, will function effectively as part of a team, and will show an interest in our mission and in enabling our students to make a smooth transition to four–year colleges or other appropriate paths. Prior experience with college admissions or advising is preferred.
As part of a small team, BECNO employees work together to ensure the completion of successful initiatives centering student outcomes. A good fit for this position is a motivated individual, a self-starter who is able to plan and execute projects from beginning to end, someone who is creative, solutions-oriented and willing to put in the necessary work to establish this new position at BECNO.
The Student Advising Coordinator will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the BECNO administrative team. This position is for a 12 month contract.Duties
- College and financial aid guidance (both in and outside of the weekly college advisory classroom space)
- Leading and developing curriculum for a weekly college advisory class for high-achieving, underserved students
- Provide one-on-one college guidance with students
- Implement targeted financial aid and college application
- Incorporate families into the college application process
- Coordinate and attend college visits, tours, overnights, pre college programs and the annual college fair
- Assist in planning and organizing all events that support college transfer
- Coordinate with the Dean of Studies to develop curriculum for college readiness and soft skills
- Build relationships with colleges and universities in the New Orleans area and beyond to assist with understanding and acknowledgement of the Bard Early College model and formulating credit transferral agreements
- Support extracurricular, internship, and other off-campus learning opportunities
- Maintain a growing set of opportunities for students to enrich their knowledge of diverse workplaces (i.e. paid internships, career fairs, job shadowing, etc.)
- Coordinate with college faculty and the student activities office on field trips and other experiential learning activities
- Alumni data collection and engagement
- Standardize and institutionalize alumni data collection
- Work with internal and external partners to provide additional supports, build networks, and improve mechanisms for success and completion in college
- Campus Registrar
- Act as secondary liaison (after Dean of Studies) to Bard-Annandale and the Office of the State Superintendent of Education and State Dept. of Education on all issues related to student grades and transcripts.
- Manage annual campus enrollment in the Supplementary Course Academy (SCA).
- Support the Dean of Studies with tracking college credits at BECNO and advising students
- Student Services Team
- Participate as a member of the Student Services Team
- Work closely with the Dean of Students to support in the BECNO admissions process
- Keep track of student attendance, report data to Student Services Team, and plan appropriate follow up
$45,000 Annual Salary plus benefits Job Location:
Bard Early College in New Orleans, LouisianaTimeline:
As soon as possible in 2022 (flexible start date)