Al-Quds Bard, Palestine
Faculty Development Specialist, Language & ThinkingFall 2021 marking its thirteenth year of operation, Al-Quds Bard College for Arts and Sciences (AQB) is an innovative program introducing a liberal arts undergraduate education to the West Bank, with an enrollment of approximately 310 undergraduate and graduate students in 2020-2021. The undergraduate program at AQB is rigorous, culminating in a two-semester independent senior project, which is generally a demanding research paper of 45 pages or more. The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program requires an equal amount of advanced study in the elected academic discipline (Mathematics, Biology, English, History, or Sciences), and in key education courses that challenge teachers to apply the results of research and pedagogical analysis to the actual work of teaching. Graduates of AQB receive dual degrees: a BA or a MAT from Al-Quds University and from Bard College (New York).
The Faculty Development Specialist for Language & Thinking (L&T) is responsible for faculty training and guidance for the curricular design and academic quality of the L&T program at Al-Quds Bard College.
The AQU/AQB L&T Faculty Development Specialist will:
- Provide guidance for the overall academic content, academic quality, and faculty training of L&T at AQB
- Participate on the selection committee and train the faculty for L&T at AQB
- Conduct a minimum of 6 days per year of in-person and/or on-line training
- Review, with the assistance of the L&T Associate Director, the faculty “scripts” for L&T courses.
- Work with the L&T Associate Director to design and evaluate quality assessment mechanisms for L&T
- Recommend and assist with arrangements for Bard Network training opportunities for the AQB L&T Associate Director and other AQB L&T faculty
- Consult with AQB leadership and faculty over the course of 2021-22 about possibilities for AQB to play a stronger role in the oversight of L&T at AQU
This consultant position will be hired by the head of the AQB Core Division, in consultation with the L&T associate director and the AQB dean.
Note: The Faculty Development Specialist can be based outside of Palestine. The work can be conducted through occasional visits (as time and circumstances permit), and through on-line workshops and meetings.
- Advanced degree in the Humanities or related field
- Extensive experience with Bard College Institute for Writing and Thinking (associate of the IWT preferred)
- Fluency in Arabic a plus, but not required.
The position will begin in spring/summer 2021, with faculty training in August 2021.
Please submit a CV, a cover letter that addresses your interest and background as it relates to this position, and 3 contact references through Interfolio: https://apply.interfolio.com/87276
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is selected.
Al-Quds Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity.