Center for Curatorial Studies
Temporary Part-time Art Installer – Bard Hessel MuseumThe Hessel Museum of Art seeks a skilled professional for the position of temporary part-time Art Installer. The successful candidate will report to the CCS Bard Preparator and Director of Exhibitions and Operations, and will partner with fellow part-time Art Installers and the entire Exhibitions Department to complete the needs of an exhibition from the fabrication stages through installation and dispersal. The Art Installer will work closely with the Preparator, Registrar, CCS Students and Curators.
- Responsible for the installation and disassembly of temporary exhibitions and student-related projects;
- Works in galleries as part of the installation crew for exhibitions, which may include construction, experience with carpentry, interior painting, object handling & installation, gallery lighting, and installation of digital or other media (film, computer, audio/video);
- Maintains a safe, clean, and organized production workspace and gallery facilities;
- Assists with producing and installing didactic materials, including wall labels, graphic panels, and cut vinyl signage;
- Performs routine art handling for CCS Archive projects and other CCS Bard events and activities as necessary;
- Guides and assists other preparators and exhibitions crew as needed; and
- Other duties as directed within the scope of the Art Installers job responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Design, or a related field and at least 2 years’ experience working with museum-quality art installations is required;
- Preparators must be able to move or assist in moving heavy objects (must be able to lift up to 50 pounds) and operate a scissor lift, pump lift cart, and pallet jack;
- Knowledge of conservation concerns and materials for display, storage and packing works of art;
- Qualified candidates must demonstrate proficiency in fabrication/production/workshop skills and safety, including hand and power tools; and
- Ideal candidate will have knowledge and interest in contemporary art and the ability to work easily with multiple teams across a museum environment.
Interested candidates should send a letter of application, a resume, and the names of three references through Interfolio.com at: http://apply.interfolio.com/72832.
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.