Bard Early College Chengdu, China
Dean of the Early College ProgramThe Bard Early Colleges (BEC) are founded on the belief that many high school–age students are eager and ready for the intellectual challenges of a college education. The Bard Early Colleges act on this belief by providing younger scholars with a credit-bearing college course of study in the liberal arts and sciences in place of the traditional last two years of high school. Students are taught by college faculty in seminar classes; the Bard Early College academic program is defined by a unique commitment to both intellectual inspiration and attention to the developmental needs of adolescents.
Now in its second decade, the Bard Early College network serves over 2,850 students in locations including New York City; Newark, New Jersey; New Orleans, Louisiana; Cleveland, Ohio; and Baltimore, Maryland. Since 2003, Bard College has awarded more than 3,000 A.A. degrees to its early college students.
Bard’s first early college in China was established in 2017 in Shenzhen. The Dean of the Early College Program, Chengdu will lead that school’s sister program in Chengdu.. The early college academic program will be embedded within a new high school, Bard International Academy (BIA), Chengdu, opened and operated by Nordic. The position will start in the summer of 2019.
Summary & Structure: The Dean of the Early College Program, Chengdu (the Dean) is the campus leader and head of school for Bard Early College Chengdu (BEC Chengdu) and reports directly to the Dean of the Early Colleges, Bard College. This leadership role is responsible for developing and strengthening BEC Chengdu’s academic excellence, rates of student success, mission-aligned leadership, international standing and reputation, and operational effectiveness. The Dean must be a compelling and passionate voice for high quality college education for adolescents.
BEC Chengdu operates in partnership with the partner high school, per Bard College’s agreement with Nordic. The Dean will work alongside the partner school’s principal, ensuring that the Bard Early College curriculum is effectively aligned with the partner school’s goals, while still satisfying Bard academic standards and structures. The Dean will be supervised and evaluated exclusively by the Dean of the Early Colleges of Bard College.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to) activities associated with the administrative, academic, and organizational formation, successful launch, and ongoing leadership of an early college partnership between Bard College and the partner entity in Chengdu. The Dean will serve as the primary administrative liaison between BEC Chengdu and Bard College. This leadership role represents both academic responsibilities (including curriculum development, faculty recruitment, scheduling, and other aspects of the design and success of the academic program) and operational responsibilities (including registrar, finance, and other operational needs).
The Dean will be responsible for oversight and facilitation of an admissions process and recruitment activities. Additionally, in all areas of the functioning of BEC Chengdu, the Dean acts as general liaison to the partner entity, in particular the local principal and high school board. The Dean will work closely with the local principal and administrative team and assist them to organize and design the local curriculum in a way that facilitates Early College coursework. The Dean will support the guidance staff in particular through outreach to and engagement of colleges and universities regarding credit transfer, as well as general advocacy to institutions of higher education on behalf of BEC Chengdu.
Both parties seek a partnership in which all programmatic components of the partnership are complementary in vision and execution. To this end, and in addition to management, oversight, and planning for BEC Chengdu, the Dean will advise in the development of curriculum and school culture for the partner school more widely. In this capacity, the Dean will not be responsible for creating curriculum beyond the BEC Chengdu academic program nor for hiring instructors outside of the BEC Chengdu faculty. Nonetheless, the Dean will represent Bard College’s standards, academic aspirations, and vision and will communicate those to the partner school’s principal towards a more collaborative partnership. Such collaboration may not detract from the Dean’s primary responsibility to the BEC Chengdu academic program.
Key Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the Dean of Early College, Chengdu span all aspects of BEC Chengdu’s organization. Central among these are:
- Recruit and hire an excellent faculty for BEC Chengdu reflective of Bard’s high academic standards.
- Oversee and support the work of the BEC Chengdu staff and faculty, setting priorities and addressing challenges in academic standards, student services, partnerships, classroom issues, and more.
- Plan and execute training opportunities and evaluation tools that ensure the professional development and growth of all members of BEC Chengdu’s staff and faculty.
- Lead BEC Chengdu’s academic programming and student supports to ensure that each student has access to an authentic and supportive undergraduate experience that prepares them for further college success.
- Collaborate with the Dean of the Early Colleges, Bard College, to design a curriculum for BEC Chengdu that meets Bard College degree requirements and standards, while also meeting campus-based needs.
- Serve as the deciding voice on the BEC Chengdu campus for faculty and staff hiring and training, curriculum development and implementation, and student services implementation.
- Nurture a culture that is collegiate, supportive, and inclusive.
- Advise in the design and implementation at the partner high school, beyond the BEC Chengdu academic program.
- Oversee partnerships with community organizations, school partners, and other takeholders in order to maintain and build BEC Chengdu’s sustainability and effectiveness.
- Maintain relationships with relevant parent groups, education organizations, and peer entities
- Doctorate in a field of study corresponding to an area of the Bard College curriculum
- 5-10 years of overall professional experience in education and/or non-profit roles
- Close knowledge of China’s education system and landscape
- Ability to inspire others to believe in BEC Chengdu’s mission and vision
- Candidates should be able to communicate effectively in both Chinese and English
To apply, submit a brief letter of interest, CV, and names of three references through Interfolio.com at: http://apply.interfolio.com/63872. Review of applications to begin immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.
Bard High School Early College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. Women and members of under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.