Citizen Science Faculty (January 2023)Employer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/105001
Citizen Science at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY is seeking instructors for January 2023. Citizen Science is an innovative program designed to provide opportunities for students in their first year of college to develop their personal science literacy through hands-on, real-world coursework and projects. We ask…
- What does it mean to be scientifically literate?
- How can citizens find the scientific information they need in order to meet the challenges they face in their lives and respond to the scientific issues of their day?
- What is the role of citizens when it comes to weighing in on important scientific issues?
- What are the skills we all need in order to adequately and thoroughly interpret scientific claims, and how can we be sure that the conduct, analysis, and interpretation of science are not unduly influenced by political or other potentially distorting factors?
Successful candidates will possess or be near the completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in a STEM related field and be willing to engage students of all disciplines in a common educational experience. No specific background in the science of water is required. Prior teaching experience is not a requirement. Candidates with evidence of training in, or experience that aligns with one of the four lab strands will be given special consideration.
All hired faculty will be required to attend and in-person mandatory training on campus July 27 - August 3, 2022. Additionally, faculty will be required to attend five (fully remote) 2-hour monthly meetings on the 2nd Friday of each month, August - December.
Faculty will be required to arrive on campus for the Citizen Science program no later than 3:00pm, Sunday January 8, 2023 for pre-program work. The program runs through Friday, January 27, 2023. Travel, food and dormitory housing will be provided for the summer training and the entire January session. Faculty will receive a stipend payable at the end of the January session.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. We will give preference to applications received by Thursday May 19, 2022. Submit completed applications on Interfolio.com by following this link: http://apply.interfolio.com/105001.
- Please include the following:
- Your current CV
- Two letters of recommendation (see link above for information on Letter Writers)
- A letter of interest specific to this unique program which gives a sense of your philosophy on teaching and pedagogy as well as your approach to diversity and inclusion. We particularly invite you to address the four cornerstone questions of the program as represented at the beginning of this document.
Bard College is a private liberal arts institution with approximately 2,000 students, located in New York’s Hudson River Valley. Additional information about the Citizen Science program can be found on our website: http://citizenscience.bard.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.