Bard College at Simon's Rock
Area Coordinator – Bard Academy at Simon’s RockBard Academy at Simon’s Rock, a two-year high school program for 9th and 10th graders on the path to starting college early, seeks an Area Coordinator to support our rapid growth into our fifth year. This is a unique opportunity to help define a residential program and to work directly with students in a vibrant intellectual boarding community. We strive to do so in an inclusive environment where diverse perspectives are valued. Our campus is located on 275 rolling and wooded acres in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, the center of the Berkshires and, according to Smithsonian Magazine, “the best small town in America.” Equidistant between New York City and Boston, the Berkshires is a site of great natural beauty and numerous outdoor activities, as well as a cultural destination.
The Area Coordinator, reporting to the Dean of Students, will work in conjunction with Academy Residence Directors to oversee the Academy residential program, providing students with emotional and academic support, guidance and direction as they transition into high school and prepare academically and socially for life on a college campus. Each staff member is expected to work both independently and collaboratively as part of the team. Specific tasks include:
- Manage three Academy Residence Directors, providing ongoing supervision and training
- Meet regularly with Bard Academy and Campus Life administrative staff to articulate and ensure fulfillment of the goals and mission of the residential life experience of Bard Academy students
- Promote, support, and strengthen the institution’s diversity and inclusion efforts
- Work in conjunction with the Area Coordinator for Bard College at Simon’s Rock to plan, facilitate, and oversee Fall Residence Director Training and other projects as assigned and appropriate
- Serve on the Academy RD on-call rotation during the academic year; serve on the campus-wide Administrator-on-call rotation during the summer (June-August)
- Collaborate with the College Area Coordinator to serve as Campus Life representatives to the Summer Rentals Committee (work with renters to assign housing, provide student supervision when needed, etc)
- Handle and address student disciplinary procedures, referring high-level disciplinary issues to the Dean of Students
- Communicate with parents to keep them apprised of ongoing concerns, behavioral issues, or student successes
- Utilize Restorative Practices to build community on campus and to address transgressions and conflicts within the community
- Facilitate a weekly staff meeting with Academy Residence Directors to discuss Academy-specific student concerns, issues, and program needs
- Meet weekly with the Dean of Students, both for one-on-one supervisory meetings and with the College Area Coordinator, to discuss campus-wide needs and issues as well as potential opportunities for professional development and role-related tasks and objectives
- Sit on panels with other campus administrators for New Student Arrival Day, Discovery Day/Open House, and Family Weekend to address prospective and current parent/family inquiries
- Edit and update the Academy Residence Director Handbook annually to review policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Uphold the standards of conduct as outlined in the Student Handbook
- Keep other departments/offices, Administrators, and the Residence Directors apprised, as appropriate, on particular issues, and see them through to resolution
- Manage medical and psychological emergencies in conjunction with The Wellness Center (Medical/Counseling Services)
- Maintain availability and an active presence on campus and in the residence hall, including attendance at most meals in the Dining Hall and being present in the residence hall when on Duty
This is a full-time, 12-month, live-in position, with significant evening and weekend work. Compensation includes salary, an on-campus apartment, meal plan when the Dining Hall is open, and a comprehensive employee benefit package. A Bachelor’s degree and 3-4 years of experience as a Residence Hall Director/in residence life are required to be considered for this position. Candidates with this level of experience in a boarding school setting will be given preference.
Research suggests that Women and People of Color may not apply for positions when they feel they do not meet all of the qualifications or have experience with each of the responsibilities. If you feel as if you do not meet the qualifications or have experience with the responsibilities listed, please contact us!
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check and fingerprinting. Bard Academy at Simon’s Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references to Michelle Spaulding, Interim Dean of Students via email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.