This page provides information on renewing and borrowing materials from the Stevenson Library. You can check on your library account to renew and see what fines you have at any time.
Material must be returned in the same condition as when it was checked out. Borrowers may not write or highlight in books, turn down page corners, or leave papers or “post-it” type notes or flags in books. A fine may be issued for material returned with this type of damage. Borrowers who notice damage before checking out material should inform library staff, who will note the damage. Borrowers are financially responsible for material that is lost, damaged or stolen while it is checked out to them.
For replacement of lost or damaged items, please contact Carl Hoyt (email@example.com or 845-758-7359) or Kate Laing (firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-758-7312).
Bard Students, Faculty, and Staff
- May check out up to 100 items per lending period. Lending periods are as follows:
- Undergraduate Students: 6 weeks
- Graduate Students: 6 weeks
- Staff: 6 weeks
- Seasonal and MFA Faculty: 6 weeks
- Seniors: full academic year
- Faculty: 1 year
- Each item is allowed one renewal.
- Items that are 30 days or more overdue are considered lost. An $80 replacement fee will be assessed, and your library account will be blocked until the book is returned or the fine is paid. This fee will be removed once the book is returned.
- ConnectNY, Reserves, ILL, Browsing, and other collections have different loan rules.
- Community members who live within 50 miles of the main campus may join the library for $40 per year (membership fee is waived for alumni/ae).
- Members can check out a maximum of 15 items for 4 weeks each.
- Items needed by faculty or students for research are subject to recall.
- Fines accrue at a rate of $0.25 per day for the first 14 days and increase to $1 per day thereafter.
- Fines of greater than $20 will render account inactive until the fine is paid.
- Lost Items will be billed at $80 for replacement plus the cost of processing and binding, which may vary.
- Bard students and faculty have priority for library resources and equipment.
- Off campus database access and interlibrary loan are not available to Community Members.
- Copying is available on a very limited basis at a cost of $0.20 per page.
ConnectNY and Interlibrary Loan
- ConnectNY Items may be checked out for 6 weeks with one renewal.
- ConnectNY Items that are 30 days or more overdue are considered "lost." A $125 replacement fine is assessed and your account will be blocked until the book is returned or the fine is paid. This fine will be reduced to a $5 processing fee if the book is returned.
- ILLiad due dates, renewal policies, and replacement costs are determined by the lending libraries.
- For replacement of lost or damaged Connect NY and ILLiad Items, please contact Alexa Murphy at email@example.com or 845-758-7409.
Reserves and Special Collections
- Reserve and Special Collections items may be checked out for 3 hours at a time for use in the library only.
- Items that are 24 hours or more overdue are considered lost. You will be charged an $80 replacement fee and your account will be blocked until the book returned. This fee will be removed once the item is returned.
- Browsing books may be checked out for 4 weeks with one renewal.
- Browsing DVDs may be checked out for 7 days with one renewal.
- Items that are 30 days or more overdue are considered lost. You will be charged an $80 replacement fee and your account will be blocked until the item returned. This fee will be removed once the item is returned.