First-Year Student Housing
The Bard campus offers more than 40 student residences that embrace a wide range of architectural characteristics, social styles, and sizes. All have WiFi, social rooms, kitchens, and laundry facilities. Many boast beautiful views of the Catskill Mountains to the west. Most residence halls are coed, with first-year students assigned to double and triple occupancy rooms. All first-year and sophomore students are guaranteed housing.
First-Year HousingAll first-year unmoderated students are required to live on campus and are assigned to live with at least one roommate. First-year students are assigned housing based on the timely submission of a Housing Profile and Facility Use Agreement form found on the Admissions Office website. Although it is often difficult to fulfill specific requests, every effort is made by the Office of Residence Life & Housing to do so. Students are typically notified of their placement by mid July via their Bard email which is assigned in June. Students are housed for Language & Thinking and Citizen Science in their permanent room assignments.
FAQs for First-Years
- Can I Have a Pet?
- Can I have a refrigerator or microwave in my room?
- What if I have specific needs?
- Can I have a phone in my room?
- Can I have guests or visitors?
- Can I ship some of my things before I move in?
- Can I smoke in my room?
- How will I get around campus?
- Is there storage on campus?
- What features can I expect my residence hall to include?
- What is Gender Inclusive housing?
- What size are the beds? Do you provide linens? Is there a laundry service?
First Year Housing Amenities ListAll residences where first-year students are assigned are alcohol free. All residences are smoke free. Each resident receives a mattress (commonly referred to as Twin XL or extra long), a bed frame, desk, desk chair, and two storage options. Students have access to kitchen and laundry facilities as well as WiFi.
Download the first-year amenities sheet below for more details including approximate room size information.