|1. Army recruits on campus, March 1944. This image captures a drill of the 294-
man Army Specialized Training Program
stationed at Bard. With most Bard students
having enlisted or been drafted into
WWII, the College again turned to the
government, and sought to house an army
training unit on campus to keep its doors
open. The soldiers in this elite unit had high
linguistic abilities and were taught German
by Professor Frauenfelder and French by Dr.
Artinian, along with map making, hygiene,
etc. Photograph by Elie Shneour ’47.
2. Students, ca. 1947. Two biology
students work together at a microscope;
the man on the right is identified as James
Robin McCartney ’47.
3. Laboratory scene, ca. 1950s. Dr.
Theodore Sottery works with students in
a chemistry lab. Appointed by B.I. Bell in
1929, Professor Sottery taught until 1963.
Identified students are, in foreground,
Ed Caroe ’51 and, standing alone in
back, Mort Besen ’52. Photograph by
4. Lab scene, ca. 1950. An unidentified
student works with a microscope.
5. Machine shop scene, ca. 1947. An
unidentified student uses a drill press.
Photograph by Elie Shneour ’47.
6. Art class, ca. 1949. Students sketch in
the art studio, located on the second floor
of Orient Hall. Orient was a non-descript
building with a long history at the College.
Built in 1868 as a temporary structure,
it was variously repurposed as a dorm,
servants’ quarters, artists’ studios, an art
gallery, and a theater. In 1915 it was hoisted
into the air so that a central heating plant
could be installed in its basement. Orient
was destroyed by fire in April 1959, though
its foundation now supports the building
known as “Old Henderson.” Identified
students (all seated) are, second from
left, Charlie Marks ’52, third, Joan Williams
’50, fifth, Sam Summers ’51, and, far right,
Iris Lipskar ’52. Photograph by Hans Knopf.
|7. Frederick Q. (“Fritz”) Shafer ’37 meets
with student Susan Moore ’49, 1949. Father
Shafer taught religion and was chaplain of
the College for several decades between
1944 and his retirement in 1989. |
8. Jin Kinoshita ’44 takes notes beside a
microscope, 1944. Though Kinoshita’s family
was held at an internment camp during
WWII, he was allowed to attend Bard, where
he studied biology. Kinoshita received an
honorary doctorate from the College in
1967 after a long and noteworthy career in
9. Dance class lead by instructor
Zoe Warren ’50, 1952. Photograph by
10. Fred Crane teaches a class outdoors, ca.
1950. Professor Crane taught history at Bard
between 1949 and 1978. Pictured: Martin Johnson ('53) first row, far left; Pat Rose first row, second from right; Tom Rondell ('58) second row, far left; Andy Ashlund top row, second from left; John Muntzinger ('52) top row, third from left; Bob Ronder ('53) top row, far right; Dave Hoddeson ('52) at top right corner.
11. The literature division of Bard, 1953. Standing, from left, are professors Keith
Botsford, Saul Bellow, Irma Brandeis, Tony
Hecht, and William Frauenfelder. Seated are
Jack Ludwig, William Humphrey, Warren
Carrier, and Andrews Wanning.
12. Theater class, ca. 1952. Instructors
Joan Larkey and Larry Wismer with students
in the Orient Theatre. Photograph by
13. Precisionist painter Professor Stefan
Hirsch works on several drafts of his
painting, “The Bombing of Nuremberg,”
1947. The completed canvas now hangs
in President Botstein’s office. One of many
intellectual émigrés at Bard during and
after WWII, Stefan Hirsch, along with others
(including Felix and Elizabeth Hirsch, Werner
and Kate Wolff, Adolph Sturmthal, Emil
Hauser, and Heinrich Bluecher), represented
a rich infusion of European scholars into
Bard’s mid-century teaching community.
Photograph by Elie Shneour ’47.
|14. Felix Hirsch teaches a class in the oak
grove in front of Stone Row, ca. 1949. In
addition to heading the library, which he
did from 1936–1955, Felix Hirsch taught
German and European history at Bard.
Brandon Grove ’50 is visible in the foreground.
Photograph by David Brooks ’45.
15. Bard Hall lecture, 1947. Students listen
with rapt attention to a concert or lecture.
Identified are Mollie Boring ’47, seated near
the window; Fred Segal ’49, at extreme right
in second to last row; and Kathryn Carlisle
’47, in plaid shirt near the back.