|1. Torchlight procession, February 1957. In
late December 1956, Bard welcomed 325
Hungarian refugee students fleeing a failed
revolution in their home country. These students
were offered a two-month orientation
program that included intensive English
language instruction and help adjusting
to life in the United States. This image
captures the torchlight procession marking
the conclusion of this Hungarian Student
Orientation, during which participants made
their way to the homes of President Case
and staff members. Director of the program
Willie Frauenfelder and his wife Helene are
at the center, reading a message of thanks
from the students.
2. Blithewood garden, 1957. Bob Bassler
’57 begins the process of reparations to
the damaged Blithewood garden pool that
would result in its ability to hold water, as
well as to host his senior project fountain
sculpture. The repairs and installation were
completed just in time for the June marriage
of President James Case’s daughter,
Susan, in the garden. Photograph courtesy
of Bob Bassler ’57.
3. Bob Bassler’s cast stone fountain sculpture,
“Seclusion,” aka “The Bard Nymph,”
in the Blithewood Garden site for which
it was intended as a major component of
his Senior Project in the spring of 1957. The sculpture occupied the site for thirty
years, and currently serves as a cast bronze
memorial in the Meditation Garden south
of the Chapel. The original is now in the
artist’s possession and peacefully presides
over a koi pond at his home in California.
Photograph by Bob Bassler ’57.
4. Outdoor art class, 1990. Professor
Murray Reich discusses the work of Sarah
Taggart ’90. Professor Reich is a faculty
emeritus; he taught art at the College
between 1967 and 1996.
|5. Laboratory scene, ca. 1957. Gregory
Tucker ’54 holds a live alligator as an unidentified
woman feeds it, perhaps as part
of a biology class demonstration. Professor
Donald Hartman, who taught biology at
Bard from 1950-1957, looks on.
6. Hilton Weiss, 1965. Weiss is a professor
emeritus; he taught chemistry at Bard from
1961 until the spring of 2005. Photograph
by Joseph Consentino.
7. Kitty Rauscher ’67 and John Tucker
’69 confer in a chemistry lab, fall 1966. Photograph by Joseph Consentino.
8. Peter Sourian, ca. 1988. Professor
Sourian makes a point during an outdoor
class at the All Saint’s Maple at Blithewood.
The 300+-year-old maple still stands,
despite being struck by lightning and set
ablaze by vandals in recent years. Professor
Sourian retired in May of 2010 after
forty-five years of teaching English at Bard.
Photograph by Will Faller.
9. Librarian Jane Hryshko assists a student
in the use of a periodicals finding aid in
the Hoffman Reading Room, ca. 1983. Ms.
Hryshko has worked in the library since
10. Adolfas Mekas with students, ca. 1975. Professor Mekas is now professor emeritus;
he taught film at Bard between 1971 and
2004. Photograph by Fred Greenspan ’75.
11. Professor Benjamin La Farge reads with
his class in Aspinwall, ca. 1988. La Farge has
been teaching English at Bard since 1968.
12. Professor William Mullen leads a
victory dance for a performance on Parents’
Day, 1988. Mullen has taught classics
at Bard since 1985. Photograph by Michael
|13. Psychology Professor Frank Oja leads
a class discussion in a basement classroom
in Tewksbury, 1965. Professor Oja taught at
Bard for forty-three years until his retirement
in 2000. |
14. Professor Luis Garcia-Renart works
with students in Bard Hall, ca. 1970s. “Luis,”
as he is universally known, has taught and
performed music at Bard since 1962 and is
still teaching today.
15. Professor Joan Tower instructs a
student at the piano, ca. 1985. A Grammy
Award-winning composer, she has taught
music composition and theory at Bard