Search the Archives
Flint Kellogg ('31)
Click here to view the current Online Exhibits page.
On November 15, 2011, the Bard Library and Archives hung two portraits in an event remembering Flint Kellogg, St. Stephen's class of 1931, and his wife Mary-Margaret Kellogg. The Kelloggs were the primary donors for the construction of the Kellogg Library addition, which opened in 1976. After decades as an active alumnus, Flint served as a trustee of Bard College from 1975 until his death in 1980, while Mary-Margaret served on the Board of Overseers for Bard's college at Simon's Rock from 1980 until 1997.
The portrait of Flint Kellogg, along with many personal effects and St. Stephen's memorabilia, was donated to the college by Mary-Margaret in 2000. Some of this material, including photographs, fraternity documents, and a letter to Flint from President Bernard Iddings Bell, was displayed at this event, serving to illustrate Flint's life before, after and during his years at the college (1927-1931). Mary-Margaret died in the spring of 2011 and a memorial was held for her on the campus of Bard at Simon's Rock.
Flint and Mary-Margaret's great-nephew, John Barnes, is currently a sophomore at Bard, and he participated by unveiling the framed portraits and hanging them on the wall in the Kellogg Library where they will reside permanently. His mother, Jane Cashell, presented the print of Mary-Margaret at her home in South Egremont, Massachusetts to President Botstein at the Simon's Rock memorial.