Fracking Staff Attorney – New York, NY
Job Title: Staff Attorney
Location:New York, NY
Hours and Compensation: Full time, Commensurate with experience, and we offer an exceptional benefits package.
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: Rolling submission and open until filled, so send in ASAP
Posted On: July 19th, 2012
Earthjustice is the first and largest nonprofit environmental law firm in the world. Founded in 1971, we annually represent nearly 400 other non-profit organizations for free in more than 250 cases that promote a clean energy future, preserve our natural heritage and safeguard our health. Through big-impact litigation, policy advocacy and communications, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law.
Earthjustice’s northeast regional office (based in New York City) has an opening for a seasoned environmental litigator. The attorney selected for this position will focus on litigation and other advocacy related to gas development, commonly known as fracking, in the region of the Marcellus and Utica Shales.
- Conduct factual investigations, develop legal theories, draft pleadings and briefs, and otherwise manage new cases in state or federal courts and administrative tribunals, supervise the work of more junior lawyers, interns, and litigation assistants, who will be part of the litigation team,
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners, and
- Understand how to integrate communications and legislative advocacy into strategies for far-reaching, high-impact litigation.
Applicants must be law school graduates, who are admitted, or willing to apply for admission, to the New York State bar. Admission in Pennsylvania or Ohio is a plus.
The ideal applicant will have:
- Approximately 7-10 years of litigation experience, preferably in environmental law,
- Experience in administrative and pre-trial proceedings (e.g., regulatory comments; discovery, including document production and preparation of fact and expert witnesses; motion practice); evidentiary hearings; and appellate litigation,
- Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills,
- Initiative, good judgment, a strong work ethic, passion for the environment, and the ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position is open immediately. Please send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample from recent litigation, and names and contact information of three references by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: Fracking Staff Attorney Application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls.