Climate Action Intern – San Francisco, CA
Organization: Business Council on Climate Change (BC3)
Job Title: Climate Action Intern
Location: San Francisco, CA
Hours and Compensation: must be available to work 35-40 hours per week, Although the position is unpaid, this is an excellent opportunity for a graduate student, recent college graduate or mature undergraduate to establish invaluable contacts with some of the Bay Area’s top businesses (view Member list here), build experience in both the public and private sectors, and to work on the cutting edge efforts to address climate change. A full-time schedule is required to provide interns with the maximum learning, networking, and professional growth opportunities. We encourage you to join BC3 in facilitating aggressive on-the-ground climate solutions that bridge the public and private sectors.
Position Dates: Start date flexible, minimum of 3 month commitment
Application Deadline: Send in ASAP
Posted On: July 19th, 2012
BC3, a project of Community Initiatives, is a member-driven non-profit organization that enables Bay Area business leaders to share best practices and establish strong relationships in the effort to reduce GHG emissions within their companies. BC3 members range in size from global corporations to local small businesses and from industries including health care, hospitality, architecture, and environmental consulting.
BC3 is looking for an intern who is passionate about climate solutions, eager to learn, and has a desire to establish themselves in the San Francisco Environmental community. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with good project management skills to assist in every level of running the BC3 Program. A track record of independent thinking, significant responsibility in previous jobs, and a problem-solver attitude are a must. Experience in climate action planning or policy, sustainability and / or business management are also valuable. Candidates should have basic computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and must be available to work 35-40 hours per week for three months.
Understanding of greenhouse gas reporting, green building practices, climate change policy, sustainable business practices, energy policy, local government and other related areas is a significant plus. Familiarity with Google Apps, Salesforce, Constant Contact, and Weebly is also desired. Applicants should have excellent networking skills, and be comfortable conversing with a range of individuals from various sectors, including high-level municipal staff and business leaders.
- Event Planning: Plan and co-manage all BC3 events including workshops, seminars, mixers, and full membership meetings;
- Fundraising: Assist Program Manager in member dues solicitation, including member correspondence and tracking dues payments and financial reports;
- Program Growth: Work with SF Environment, UN Global Compact, and Bay Area Council staff to expand the program; Assist in the recruitment of new members.
- Communications & Social Media: Assist Program Manager in general communications, including email, phones, media inquiries, etc. Manage contacts in Salesforce, email lists, Eventbrite invitations, etc. Oversee production of the quarterly BC3 e-newsletter.
- Administrative Assistance: Schedule meetings, manage calendar; coordinate, attend, and record minutes for Advisory Committee and other meetings; take ownership of special projects..
- Website Management: Help maintain BC3 website, including creating and updating informational content, writing blogs, adding news links, adding calendar events, etc.
- Strategic Projects: Assist Program Manager and member companies in executing bi-annual strategic projects, working groups, and advisory committees.
- Team Player: Bring an “all hands on deck” attitude to work; be willing to do what needs to get done, regardless of type of work.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter (as one PDF) to email@example.com with subject line “[YOUR NAME] Application for Climate Action Intern”. Please don’t hesitate to email us with any questions.