Associate Director of Policy Advocacy – Washington, DC
Organization: The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
Job Title: Associate Director of Policy Advocacy
Location: Washington, DC
Hours and Compensation: Full time, NRDC offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a dynamic work environment and is committed to workplace diversity. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience
Position Dates: Start ASAP
Application Deadline: August 31st, 2012
Posted On: July 30th, 2012
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit national environmental advocacy organization with more than 1.3 million members and online activists. NRDC has offices in New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Livingston, Montana, and Beijing. NRDC’s staff of more than 400 people includes attorneys, scientists, policy analysts and advocates working to protect the environment and public health through advocacy and education.
NRDC works on a broad range of issues as it pursues its mission to safeguard the Earth; its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends. As an institution, NRDC has six main priorities: Curbing Global Warming and Creating the Clean Energy Future, Reviving the World’s Oceans, Defending Endangered Wildlife and Wild Places, Protecting Our Health by Preventing Pollution, Ensuring Safe and Sufficient Water, and Fostering Sustainable Communities.
The Associate Director of Policy Advocacy will serve as chief deputy to the Director of Policy Advocacy. In this capacity s/he will assist the Director of Policy Advocacy on various institutional matters, serve as liaison to NRDC’s program and communications staff, interface with NRDC’s executive leadership, provide budget guidance, and offer issue campaign advice for NRDC’s strategic priorities.
Management Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in aligning NRDC’s campaign efforts with organizational objectives;
- Contribute to senior NRDC institutional committees and help in the development and implementation of overall issue campaign strategies;
- Provide budgetary review and assistance;
- Assist Director with staff management and preparation of materials;
- Assist Director in facilitating coordination among campaign experts in programs and communications and collaboration with senior leadership across NRDC;
- As needed, represent NRDC in various contexts to external stakeholders, coalition partners, the general public and the media;
Programmatic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic advice to NRDC programs and departments;
- Review and offer input on program campaign plans to achieve priority objectives;
- Collaborate closely with Program Director, Director of Government Affairs, and communications staff on political strategy;
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus, develop effective coalitions and manage collaborative projects’
- Strong communication/writing skills;
- Ability to work collegially, be a self-starter, prioritize multiple projects, and perform well under deadlines;
- Broad knowledge of environmental policy a plus;
- 10+ years of political, policy advocacy or issue campaign experience;
- Advanced degree in environmental policy, public administration, non-profit management, related field or equivalent is preferred.
How to Apply