Research Associate – NYC
Organization: New York City Labor Market Information Service, Center for Urban Research
Job Title: Research Associate
Location: New York, NY
Hours and Compensation:
Position Dates: This position is funded for one year with potential for renewal.
Application Deadline: August 13, 2012
Posted On: August 3, 2012
New York City’s policy makers and practitioners engaged in workforce development, education, and economic development operate within a dynamic and complex labor market. The New York City Labor Market Information Service (NYCLMIS) develops research and tools that help them make sense of the labor market and make informed decisions that benefit their constituents and the City’s economy.
The New York City Labor Market Information Service (NYCLMIS), housed at the Center for Urban Research at the CUNY Graduate Center, is looking for one or two research associates to work as part of a team that performs labor market research, prepares information tools, and provides strategic consultation for a wide audience. The overall function of the NYCLMIS is to distill and frame labor market information for use by policy makers and service providers so that they can better align education and workforce development activities with the realities of the local labor market. For more information about us, see our website.
With supervision and support from senior staff at the Center for Urban Research, the research associate(s) will:
§ Conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses of labor market information;
§ Produce professional-looking charts, graphs, and presentation materials;
§ Provide administrative support to the NYCLMIS director and staff; and
§ Maintain the NYCLMIS data warehouse and/or website.
Required qualifications include 2 or more years of a combination of professional and graduate academic experience doing the following:
- Analyzing large data sets (e.g., using SPSS, SAS, Stata, or R);
- Producing professional looking presentation materials;
- Communicating with public agency and community-based service provider staff;
- Meeting deadlines and juggling multiple priorities;
- Working cooperatively within a team environment.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Interest in or familiarity with the workforce development policy, programming, and/or data sets (e.g., CPS, ACS);
- Experience conducting scholarly, professional, and/or technical literature reviews;
- Ability to work under deadline with a sense of humor;
- Facility with one or more of the following:
- SQL, PostgreSQL or a similar database management system;
- HTML or other web development languages and tools;
- Social networking for communicating with constituents;
- Desktop publishing (e.g., InDesign);
- and/or GIS applications (e.g., ArcGIS).
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter electronically by August 13, 2012 to: Lesley Hirsch, Director, New York City Labor Market Information Service, email@example.com. No phone calls please.