Food Policy Internship — Newark, NJ
Organization: City of Newark’s Sustainability Office
Job Title: Food Policy Internship
Location: Newark, NJ
Hours and Compensation: contact Food Policy Director for more details, Elizabeth Reynoso @ email@example.com
Application Deadline: not specified
Posted On: Oct. 15, 2012
The City of Newark’s Sustainability Office works to make the environment of the city support long-term health, wealth, and opportunity for Newark residents, businesses, and institutions. We do this by supporting programs and activities that:
§ Improve public health and the quality of life
§ Reduce costs of living
§ Expand green jobs and business opportunities for Newark residents
We are seeking graduate students with an interdisciplinary background, an understanding of systems thinking and a passion for food justice to assist the Food Policy Director in the research of policies that will promote greater food access in the city of Newark and assist in the implementation of initiatives that will create a just and sustainable local food system.
1) Review and analyze pending local, state, and federal-food related policies and legislation and draft policy briefs for the Food Policy Director.
2) Conduct legal research and analysis within one or more of the issue areas listed below:
- Urban agriculture
- Public safety &food access
- Employment opportunities in food enterprises
- Community health and wellness
3) Support the creation of Newark’s Food Policy Council and its community-driven agenda
4) Conduct best practices research and analysis in order to identify national proven and promising policies and programs
- Current graduate student in law, public policy, public health, social work, public administration or related field required. Joint degree students encouraged to apply.
- Newark interest or experience: familiarity with community needs, resources, history, culture and values preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in social justice.
- Community organizing experience.
- Excellent analytic, verbal and writing skills.
- Successful candidates will possess the requisite discipline, organization, and self-motivation to work independently.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to the Food Policy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org and call (973) 733-4828. For further information about the City of Newark’s Sustainability Office please visit our website http://sustainablenewarknj.com and follow us on Twitter @SustainableNwk.