Conservation Law and Climate Change Coordinator — Washington, D.C.
Organization: Defenders of Wildlife
Job Title: Conservation Law and Climate Change Coordinator
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: full time and salary based on experience
Application Deadline: open until filled
Founded in 1947, Defenders of Wildlife is a major national conservation organization focused solely on wildlife and habitat conservation and the safeguarding of biodiversity. We believe in the inherent value of wildlife and the natural world, and this singular focus defines our important niche in the environmental and conservation community and serves as the anchor for our organizational values.
The Conservation Law and Climate Change Coordinator is an integral part of Defenders of Wildlife’s legal, federal lands and climate change teams and is expected to develop strong knowledge of current legal, federal lands and climate program projects and provide general assistance to staff members in both departments on various matters relating to those projects. The Conservation Law and Climate Change Coordinator is responsible for administering Defenders’ litigation docket; Conservation Law Department and Landscape Conservation and Climate Adaptation Department budgets and web content; handling information requests on all climate and legal program issues; representing the two departments in internal and external meetings on select issues; coordinating office procedures to facilitate accomplishment of workplans; and organizing division events including meetings, receptions, and conferences.
- Manage the budget and the administration for the climate change, federal lands, international, and legal departments, including processing invoices, expense reports, in addition to scheduling and planning meetings, and assisting with travel arrangements for staff attending outside meetings or conferences
- Maintain information for the climate change, federal lands, international and legal departments, including the compilation weekly and biweekly updates and of quarterly board reports and the management of the legal docket
- Edit briefs and assist with litigation filings
- Participate in meetings on behalf of legal, federal lands, and climate staff
- Assist in the writing and research of comments
- Edit and distribute new matter forms for legal
- Assist in development and planning of related strategic plans for climate, international, federal lands and legal staff
- Conduct factual and legal research for the climate change and legal departments
- Assist with the writing, editing and formatting of reports and papers produced by climate staff
- Responsible for intern hiring for legal and climate departments
- Revise and update the Conservation Law, International and Climate Change departments’ web pages and prepare other communications materials as needed
- Perform all other related duties as assigned, including faxing, filing, supply and library orders, and mailing.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in related discipline
- Experience: 1+ years of environmental and/or legal experience. Office administrative experience and/or training; familiarity with the workings of an office; strong computer skills and knowledge.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Must be able to manage several different tasks at once, use sound judgment, and follow up on prioritized assignments
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Must have a positive attitude, a demonstrated ability to work in teams and a commitment to the mission of the organization.
How to Apply
Interested applicants please reference Conservation Law and Climate Change Coordinator in your subject line and submit a letter of interest, along with your resume and salary history (must be included to be considered) to us via e-mail at:HR@defenders.org