Coordinator for Energy and Sustainability — New Paltz, NY
Organization: SUNY New Paltz
Job Title: Coordinator for Energy and Sustainability
Location: New Paltz, NY
Hours and Compensation: full time and salary based on experience
Application Deadline: until position is filled
Posted On: Nov. 28, 2012
Recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs, New Paltz is a highly-selective comprehensive public college of about 7,800 students, offering a variety of undergraduate as well as some graduate degree programs. New Paltz is located 80 miles north of New York City, at the foothills of the Catskill Mountains, with easy access to the City and to nearby cultural and recreational amenities.
SUNY New Paltz seeks an experienced, dynamic professional to provide leadership to the college community in advancing the College’s commitment to energy management and sustainability.
SUNY New Paltz seeks an experienced, dynamic professional to provide leadership to the college community in advancing the College’s commitment to energy management and sustainability. This person will be responsible for reducing the campus carbon footprint and for directing and supporting the Climate Action Plan that the College is committed to. They will develop a strategy to embed principles of sustainability and energy management throughout the campus community. This position will require close coordination and collaboration with many internal and external constituents, including faculty, staff, students, external agencies, the campus sustainability committee and the town community.
• Oversee and manage energy usage for the campus. Administer energy contracts with suppliers and energy controls service contractors as negotiated by the college.
• Identify, seek and pursue programs for grant or rebate opportunities.
• Explore, promote and implement energy conservation programs to reduce the college’s natural resource consumption and to increase recycling initiatives. Continue to develop and encourage existing waste reduction and recycling programs on campus.
• Become a resource for faculty, students and staff to provide training and guidance in matters of sustainability and compliance with applicable regulations.
• Keep the administration advised of changes in laws/regulations that may affect College policies, require the implementation of new policies or significantly affect operating budgets.
• Interact with departments that have existing environmental initiatives to enhance those efforts and to share ideas regarding successful initiatives across campus.
• Coordinate, document and report on all college efforts in support of the Presidents’ Climate Action Plan and the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction programs in place to reduce campus emissions. This position will further develop, implement and track programs to improve energy efficiency and conservation at the campus.
• Maintain the college Climate Action Plan in coordination with the Campus Sustainability community and the President.
• Provide input and support to the student “RecycleMania” program on campus and other initiatives that the student body may initiate.
• Build involvement, awareness and interest of faculty, staff and students in sustainability issues.
• Provide oversight, direction and support for a campus energy and sustainability web site.
• Work with staff from design and construction and the State University Construction Fund to identify and incorporate sustainable building practices in all areas of building design, construction and remodeling.
• Serve as the campus representative for sustainability and energy management matters on SUNY state wide committees.
Required Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in environmental management, policy, science, energy efficiency or a related field, a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a related field, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong meeting facilitation skills, proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point and other related energy management controls software, and the ability to attend meetings after regular business hours. Applications will be accepted only from US citizens or permanent residents.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree in environmental management, policy, science or a related field, experience with disseminating and presenting information to both academic and non-academic audiences, experience utilizing LEED principles and certification standards in building design and remodels.
How to Apply
Please note search # P12-35 on all materials submitted in connection with this search. Send your letter of application, resume and names and contact information of three business references to:
SUNY New Paltz
Search # P12-35
Coordinator for Sustainability and Energy
1 Hawk Drive, HR/HAB 203
New Paltz, NY 12561
Applications will also be accepted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred format is Microsoft Word, file extension “.doc”).