Business Manager — Chicago, IL
Organization: Loyola University, Institute of Urban Environmental Sustainability
Job Title: Business Manager
Location: Chicago, IL
Application Deadline: rolling until filled
Posted On: Nov. 28, 2012
Loyola University Chicago is pleased to announce a new Institute of Urban Environmental Sustainability to be launched in August 2013 in a brand new facility on the Lake Shore campus that will open on the same date. The mission of the IUES closely aligns with the University’s strategic plan to advance our understanding of pressing environmental issues, and to develop responses and solutions to environmental problems through educational curricula and co-curricular activities. The IUES will house four units within the University: The Department of Environmental Science (see http://www.luc.edu/envsci/), The Center for Urban Environmental Research and Policy (http://www.luc.edu/cuerp/), the academic programming at the Loyola University Retreat and Ecology Campus in Woodstock, IL (http://www.luc.edu/retreatcampus/), and the Office of Sustainability (http://www.luc.edu/sustainability/). These four units will be drawn together under the direction of the IUES Director, and housed in the new IUES facility on the Lake Shore campus.
Under general direction, is responsible for the day-to-day fiscal operations and financial integrity of the Institute of Urban Environmental Sustainability (IUES) business affairs, and general oversight of the function and use of the institute’s building and facilities.
The Business Manager provides critical support to the Director and senior leadership for all budgetary and financial matters, including the development, execution, and audit of the budget. Emphasis will be on preparing a budget that accurately reflects expenditures and revenues and creates multi-year budget plans to assist with strategic planning purposes. In addition, the Business Manager will oversee the functioning of the new IUES facilities, attending to problems that need resolving, and proposals for space use.
- Assists leadership in the annual preparation, review and approval of budgets, including multi-year budget plans to assist with strategic planning purposes..
– Reviews monthly vs. actual financial reports on all account units that roll up to the IUES Director to ensure that the budget plans are being met within expectations. Identifies risks and opportunities and initiates timely actions to address, resolve and implement solutions in coordination with the Director.
– Conducts bi-monthly reviews and approvals of procurement card transactions.
– Reviews quarterly actual vs. budget financial reports to ensure that the budget plans are being met within expectations.
– Identifies risks and opportunities and initiates timely actions to address, resolve and implement solutions in coordination with the Director.
– Trains appropriate staff/faculty in monitoring their unit budgets and properly recording and accounting for business transactions.
– Maintains and implements solid internal accounting controls.
– Prepares and maintains capital budgets, carry forward budgets, and revenue funded budgets to assist in meeting operating needs, deferred maintenance and long term planning requirements.
– Collaborates with key budget officers within Academic Affairs on the allocation of the annual budget which includes personnel, operating, endowments, grant, gifts, carry forward, and capital funding.
– Ensures close linkage and coordination of the budget and management of fiscal operations with policies and procedures of the Provost Office, University Finance Division, Human Resources and other areas/personnel, as appropriate. ‘
– Oversees the functioning of the new IUES facility, taking reports from facility residents and users and following-through on resolving any reported issues arising with the operations of the building.
– Managing space and facility resources among multiple users.
– Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field and three-five years of professional business or management experience, MBA or CPA strongly preferred; equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Internet and e-mail applications required.
Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field and three-five years of professional business or management experience; equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
-MBA or CPA strongly preferred.
-Budget analysis or management experience helpful.
-Strong analytical and communication skills required.
-Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions in a group setting.
-Experience working in a complex organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Apply Online: https://www.careers.luc.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1354883050767