Agriculture Program Policy Specialist — Washington, D.C.
Organization: National Wildlife Federation
Job Title: Agriculture Program Policy Specialist
Location: Washington, D.C.
Hours and Compensation: full time, salary based on experience
Application Deadline: rolling
Posted On: Dec. 10, 2012
National Wildlife Federation is America’s largest conservation organization, passionate about protecting wildlife for our children’s future.
The Agriculture Policy Specialist will serve as NWF’s principle liaison with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, analyzing administrative policy, proposing reforms and advocating with agency officials for needed policy changes. The main policy areas of focus will be eliminating barriers and expanding incentives for cover crop adoption, and reforming crop insurance policy to improve environmental outcomes. Position will also help lobby on the Farm Bill and other agriculture policy before Congress and prepare NWF’s response to rulemakings to implement the new farm bill when it is passed.
- Work with Agriculture Program Manager to identify policy barriers to cover crop adoption and potential incentives to expand cover crop adoption and develop an advocacy strategy to promote these policies within USDA
- Help Agriculture Program Manager mobilize and farmers and experts in meetings with the Department to help educate them on issues needing attention.
- Analyze crop insurance policy to develop recommendations for improving the environmental performance of crop insurance and help develop an advocacy strategy to implement needed changes.
- Advocate before department on their implementation of conservation programs
- Develop relationships and maintain frequent communications with key personnel in all relevant USDA agencies, as well as with Departmental leaders.
- Work with Legislative Representative to help lobby on the Farm Bill and other agriculture committee issues.
- Assist Agriculture Program Manager with outreach to water agencies and other local entities to encourage their support for cover cropping
- Degree required. Advanced degree in agriculture, policy, natural sciences or other related field desired.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in conservation policy or advocacy.
- Must be knowledgeable of conversation programs and policies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite 2007 and/or 2010.
- Must be a strategic thinker; well organized; detail oriented; strong communicator with a demonstrated ability to set goals and meet deadlines.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Self starter; must possess a high degree of initiative and strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Must be able to work as part of a team as well as independently.
How to Apply
Interested candidates, please submit resume and cover letter to: http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Jobs-at-NWF.aspx